My vacuum tank experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My vacuum tank experience

I used a buddies sucker tank last weekend, it was awsome.
    60 gal. compressor tank with a 1 1/2" inlet welded into the top and the outlet in the bottom.
    We Pulled 27" of vacuum on it and drove to the dumpster (I was asked if i could take some out because it was too full) and sucked up 60 gal. of oil in 70 seconds... thats right, 60 gal. in 1 minute 10 seconds!
    I literally was driving off after being there less than 3 minutes.
    Went hom, put the hose on the discharge, held the other end over the prefilter barrel. Filled my compressor with 100 lbs of air and hooked the hose to the sucker tank and slowely opened the valve to let air in at the rate of only 1 psi and the oil began to flow rather quickely but not to quick. I maintained letting the air in at 1 psi and in just a few minutes the sucker was empty again. We made 3 trips over there and got 180 gal. Tested it for caustic of course but i also only sucked from the top and i didn't take more than the top half so any and all sediment would have been at the bottom of the sun soaked dumpster. The oil was clear and no sediment was found in my 200 micron screen after screening it.
    I checked for caustic by adding water to a sample, mixed it up and let it settle. If there had been any lye, i would have turned to soap and not settled out but instead, it settled out completely in under 5 minutes and then i PH tested the water that settled. Of course i PH tested the tap water that i began with - tap water was PH 7 and oil water PH 7 also.
    Last edited by Clay; 05-01-2009, 11:08 AM.

I love my vac tank that I have. I use 2 water heater tanks for a total of 132 gallons in one shot. Over the summer I want to pick up a 250-350 gallon used propane tank, and then build/buy a trailer for it. That way I could hit up my different supply restaurants once a month taking the good stuff off the top all in one loop. 1-2 hours worth of work once or twice a month :-)

I checked with all the places I picked up from, none of them put any cleaners in their oil dumpsters. I have had small amounts of water but only when I have gotten greedy and sucked down to the animal fat/sediment layer. I usually let a 275 gallon tote settle for a month, and the most i have ever pulled off is a gallon of water, and this was at the bottom of the tote that had a 100 liter layer of sediment and animal fats. The oil on the top of the totes would go 500+ gallons thru a 5/1 #3 size bag 3-4 times and still never plug the bag. Average PSI was about 10-15psi on the filter housing, at 60F oil temp
    2000 7.3L F-250 XLT SCSB 6in Lift, Bilstiens, 37" Mud Grapplers, 203F tstat, DIY Rebuilt Tranny, Tru-Speed, Turbomaster WG, 4" MBRP exhaust, Wicked Wheel, DIY WVO system w/check valve switching. Miles on WVO ~15,000.

Comment

I really need to make myself one of those...
      2002 F350 4X4 6 speed CC short bed
      No veggie in this truck yet...but soon.

Comment

super easy to make a sucker. Find a compressor tank or an electric hot water heater tank. Rinse out the crap inside. Take off the metal jacket and insulation if using a water heater. Plug unused ports. Connect some fittings to one of the 1in NPT screw in element spots on the water heater tank. Install other pipe fittings, ball valve, then attach hose.

Then attach vacuum line to another port on the tank (like the cold in or hot out) then attach vacuum pump. put a ball valve on there too. draw down to a vacuum, then go collect oil. Make sure the tank is rotated so the 1in port inlet can be easily positioned at the bottom for tank evacuation when you get home.

Collect your WVO, head home. Disconnect vac hose and apply compressed air. Pressurize tank expel WVO. Reattach vacuum pump line, draw down to 25-29in of vac and repeat. I have an AC dual diaphragm vacuum pump that I am looking to get rid of, which other than hose and fittings will be your most expensive part, especially if you can score a used water heater tank for free. I got an 80 gallon one for $5 at a scrap yard.

For the 132 gallons of my total capacity, my small vac pump takes about 20-30 minutes to get me 25in of vac. Can fill up the tanks in a few minutes.
        2000 7.3L F-250 XLT SCSB 6in Lift, Bilstiens, 37" Mud Grapplers, 203F tstat, DIY Rebuilt Tranny, Tru-Speed, Turbomaster WG, 4" MBRP exhaust, Wicked Wheel, DIY WVO system w/check valve switching. Miles on WVO ~15,000.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceM View Post
          super easy to make a sucker. Find a compressor tank or an electric hot water heater tank. Rinse out the crap inside. Take off the metal jacket and insulation if using a water heater. Plug unused ports. Connect some fittings to one of the 1in NPT screw in element spots on the water heater tank. Install other pipe fittings, ball valve, then attach hose.

Then attach vacuum line to another port on the tank (like the cold in or hot out) then attach vacuum pump. put a ball valve on there too. draw down to a vacuum, then go collect oil. Make sure the tank is rotated so the 1in port inlet can be easily positioned at the bottom for tank evacuation when you get home.

Collect your WVO, head home. Disconnect vac hose and apply compressed air. Pressurize tank expel WVO. Reattach vacuum pump line, draw down to 25-29in of vac and repeat. I have an AC dual diaphragm vacuum pump that I am looking to get rid of, which other than hose and fittings will be your most expensive part, especially if you can score a used water heater tank for free. I got an 80 gallon one for $5 at a scrap yard.

For the 132 gallons of my total capacity, my small vac pump takes about 20-30 minutes to get me 25in of vac. Can fill up the tanks in a few minutes.
          Don't forget the 80 gallon stone lined monster we went to Connecticut in a snow storm to get; only to leave my balls in a snow bank in Conn!
          2001 F250 Crew Cab V3 Conversion

Comment

You know your a WVO geek when you can talk about a sucker tank with a straight face... and you know you're an North Country WVO geek when you have a story about WVO that involved a snow bank...

Good info on the test for Lye, too, Clay - thanks for posting that.
            '02 7.3L Excursion Limited; ~242Kmi total; ~157Kmi on WVO
            Vegistroke V3 (4/09); HIH, Aux Pump, FPHE (11/10); PHP Gryphon custom; 6637;
            WW; Turbomaster; EBPV delete; 4" exhaust; Terminator HPOP; Tru-cool; Evans NPG+;
            ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator; F650 dash; etc.

Comment

Originally posted by waytallwhitey View Post
              Don't forget the 80 gallon stone lined monster we went to Connecticut in a snow storm to get; only to leave my balls in a snow bank in Conn!
              Correction. it was a 100 gallon tank. 546lbs in weight if you count the stone liner. I'm kicking myself for not just pushing it over on that useless kid and calling it a night when we were there. I hope diesel goes back up in price so I can sell this tank to someone that wants to make 100 gallon batches of bio diesel. The stone lined tanks are supposed to be ideal for that cause they keep the heat inside with little to no loss.

Comment

I was driving home yesterday and I saw a water heater on the side of the road. By the time I got home and unloaded the crap in my truck it was gone it was only about 30 minutes later.
                2002 F350 4X4 6 speed CC short bed
                No veggie in this truck yet...but soon.

Comment

Rozsa, sounds like you have the same luck that I do. Everytime I called about one, I was just a few minutes too late it seemed.
                  Greasin & Grinin
                  Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                  2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                  2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                  2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

I just bought three 132 gallon air tanks on craigslist. These things are primo and will be easily converted into a super sucker. The only thing that need fabbed on these things is a larger bung on the bottom to discharge the oil and I have a buddy that can fix that up for me.

Since I only need one I plan on placing two of them in the for sale forum within the next day or two, if your interested I can send you a pic and price by PM. These are nice tanks and will not last long.
                    95 F250XL PSD SuperCab BTS auto , Gearhead Tuned, Vegistroke V3 , Tymar Intake, Stage 1's ADRENALINE HPOP. Absolute CF
                    Early 99 XLT SuperCab Auto, MBRP 4" Exhaust, DIY Tymar, Autometer Gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by Longstroke View Post
                      I just bought three 132 gallon air tanks on craigslist. These things are primo and will be easily converted into a super sucker. The only thing that need fabbed on these things is a larger bung on the bottom to discharge the oil and I have a buddy that can fix that up for me.

Since I only need one I plan on placing two of them in the for sale forum within the next day or two, if your interested I can send you a pic and price by PM. These are nice tanks and will not last long.
                      Longstroke, I'd be interested in seeing some pics of one of those. I might be persuaded to pick one up!
                      Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Does this tank look like it would make a good super sucker?
                        Attached Files
                        95 F250XL PSD SuperCab BTS auto , Gearhead Tuned, Vegistroke V3 , Tymar Intake, Stage 1's ADRENALINE HPOP. Absolute CF
                        Early 99 XLT SuperCab Auto, MBRP 4" Exhaust, DIY Tymar, Autometer Gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by Longstroke View Post
                          Does this tank look like it would make a good super sucker?

Wow...that's a hoss!!

Yeah, I think that'd work pretty darn well!
                          Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Tom, hit me back with a PM on this. I'd like to know where exactly you're located.

Thanks!
                            Greasin & Grinin

Comment

If anyone is building from scratch I will share my experience.
                              1. #420 propane tank from a propane tank reconditioner.
                              2. 2" hole (hole saw does the trick) with a 2" close nipple welded in.
                              3. 2" street 90
                              4. 2" - 1 1/2" reducer
                              5. 1 1/2" ball valve
                              6. 1 1/2" street 90
                              7. 1 1/2" threaded pipe
                              8. 1 1/2" x 20 ft. hose
                              9. 1 1/2" ball valve
                              10. pvc threaded 90 to a 1 1/2' pvc pipe

Vacuum/ pressure is:
                              1. 1/2' threaded pipe welded in the top
                              2. 1/2" ball valve
                              3. brass "T" with a 1/4 npt on one end & vac/press. gauge on other end.

The tank sits in a 4x6 trailer craddled by some 2x10's that have been cut to fit the tank. A few rachet straps and some bungee cords to keep things tidy.

I use a vacuum pump from harbor freight (cheap) to pull 25hg. when done pulling oil I put 20# pressure on the tank to push the oil out.

I am in the process of having a buddy (art teacher) do some paint work. I will post when done.
                              Last edited by billman; 07-27-2009, 02:43 PM.
                              2002 7.3 Excursion Limited V3 w/40 gal RDS Tank, +50 gal or 100 gal aux cargo tank,
                              AFE Magnum Flow Air Intake, 4" Turbo back Diamondeye exhaust,
                              6.0 Tranny cooler upgrade, Edge Evo2 Gryphon, V & Modified B Code leaf suspension
                              BTS Transmission W/ 1.0 exhaust housing,Snow water/meth injection.Riffraff Engine Rebuild(kit) @315k .30 over pistons, CNC Fab HPOP, 406injectors.com 160cc single shots.

2002 F350 2WD CCLB 7.3 Bone Stock "Rusty"

Comment

Working...
                              X