Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collection barrel lids

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Collection barrel lids

    Well i came up with a better mouse trap i think...what do y'all think?




    I think i posted this somewhere else but i'll do it again...these barrels have a 3/4" fitting welded in at t he bottom with a locking ball valve and a 90* turndown. They sit on a stand that allows me to slide a cubie under the valve and drain the oil into the cubie. Works great and MUCH easier than pumping.

    Heres a link to the place i bought these lids.
    http://www.bossbuck.com/products/parts/lids.html
    Last edited by Clay; 03-05-2009, 10:44 AM.

  • #2
    Looks good Clay. Did you make those yourself? Right now everyone that I collect from puts it back in the cubies but I have considered building a collection drum just in case I came across someone who wouldn't use the cubies.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by HORSEMOVER View Post
      Looks good Clay. Did you make those yourself? Right now everyone that I collect from puts it back in the cubies but I have considered building a collection drum just in case I came across someone who wouldn't use the cubies.
      Yeah, me and a buddy - he has the MIG welder. I have 4 places that can not put the oil in the cubies because of the way their fryer discharge is made. They have the big contraption to drain it into then roll it out to the barrel and tip it up and dump it. So the barrels work well for them.
      They do save the empty jugs so when we go collect, they give me the empties and i just fill em up from the valve at the bottom and go.

      Comment


      • #4
        Awesome man! I'll take about 4 of them...just slap them on a pallet and send them my way!

        I had considered doing something similar, but never have gotten around to it. Right now, I have mine attached via a chain that bolts to a heavy duty handle I have bolted to the top of the lid. Works okay, but the hinge idea is really good.

        What about the grate inside? Any particulars on that?
        Greasin & Grinin
        Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
        2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
        2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
        2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

        Comment


        • #5
          Have you guys considered just taking the entire barrel with you? Leave a clean one behind?
          Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Marv View Post
            Awesome man! I'll take about 4 of them...just slap them on a pallet and send them my way!

            I had considered doing something similar, but never have gotten around to it. Right now, I have mine attached via a chain that bolts to a heavy duty handle I have bolted to the top of the lid. Works okay, but the hinge idea is really good.

            What about the grate inside? Any particulars on that?
            Will do...i have your shipping address and CC number, will ship today...only 199.99 each X 4

            The grate is to keep grease pirates from sticking a hose in my barrel to pump it out. Overkill maybe now that i look back on it - if they want it bad enough they will get it somehow but it may detour some. Probably wont do the grates in the future.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
              Have you guys considered just taking the entire barrel with you? Leave a clean one behind?
              Yes i have done that...once and only once. If there is a way to collect oil, i have tried it probably....with the exception of vacuum suction.
              A full barrel wieghs 450 lbs (they hold more than 55 gallons full) and it takes 3 guys to load one into the back of my superduty - two big guys to lift the barrel and one guy to catch our nuts when they pop off
              My dad does alot of the collection as well - hes 74 years old and can pick up a 35 lb cubie but thats about his limit. (he goes to the gym 3-4 days a week still).
              Then when you got that 450 lb barrel to the house, it has to be unloaded from the truck as well... huge PITA.
              with these barrels, i can drain them into cubies rather fast - about a minute per cubie - and load them into the truck and go. Even cold oil flows out of the drain valve quickly with the head pressure of a full barrel and a 3/4" pipe. Also the tops are completely open to allow the cooks to have a large target to hit when filling. Not only is it impossible to load this type of barrel without spilling, you will only haul an open top barrel full of oil once and you will learn how many bags of cat litter you need to cover the bed of your truck and then how hard it is to get the litter out from under the tank...don't ask how i know this.

              Comment


              • #8
                I c.

                Thats why I have one of these:


                This thing will load and unload barrels all day. If the cubies are convenient enough for you, thats great. I didn't plan on dealing with smaller quantities. But it may be just as quick to load 10 cubies by hand compared to 1 barrel with the crane.

                Just a thought
                Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

                Comment


                • #9
                  i havethought about that Jack, but a pink crane is not really my style
                  Seriously, its easier the way i do it i think. I'm not talking about small quantities really...I'm talkin 55 gallon barrells. I can empty a 55 gallon drum into 5 gallon cubies in about 10 minutes and be gone and one of my stores has a narrow ally i could not back up to my barrel with so that presents another problem.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                    Will do...i have your shipping address and CC number, will ship today...only 199.99 each X 4

                    The grate is to keep grease pirates from sticking a hose in my barrel to pump it out. Overkill maybe now that i look back on it - if they want it bad enough they will get it somehow but it may detour some. Probably wont do the grates in the future.
                    LOL...alright man, send them on over!

                    Not a bad idea on the grates. I was pondering on ways of preventing that, but never considered the grate.

                    Wish I could just lock the lid on there and give the restaurant a key, but I don't figure they'd want to fool with additional hassle. And I'm trying to make it as easy as possible on them.
                    Greasin & Grinin
                    Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                    2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                    2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                    2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
                      Have you guys considered just taking the entire barrel with you? Leave a clean one behind?
                      Jack, that would be conveinent, but I don't think I have the strength to lift one of those things...

                      Someone would have to be picking me up if I tried it...
                      Greasin & Grinin
                      Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                      2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                      2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                      2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Clay - what is wrong with a pink crane? Might look good on your rig man. You could paint your barrels purple for a custom look.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                          Yes i have done that...once and only once. If there is a way to collect oil, i have tried it probably....with the exception of vacuum suction.
                          A full barrel wieghs 450 lbs (they hold more than 55 gallons full) and it takes 3 guys to load one into the back of my superduty - two big guys to lift the barrel and one guy to catch our nuts when they pop off
                          My dad does alot of the collection as well - hes 74 years old and can pick up a 35 lb cubie but thats about his limit. (he goes to the gym 3-4 days a week still).
                          Then when you got that 450 lb barrel to the house, it has to be unloaded from the truck as well... huge PITA.
                          with these barrels, i can drain them into cubies rather fast - about a minute per cubie - and load them into the truck and go. Even cold oil flows out of the drain valve quickly with the head pressure of a full barrel and a 3/4" pipe. Also the tops are completely open to allow the cooks to have a large target to hit when filling. Not only is it impossible to load this type of barrel without spilling, you will only haul an open top barrel full of oil once and you will learn how many bags of cat litter you need to cover the bed of your truck and then how hard it is to get the litter out from under the tank...don't ask how i know this.
                          I guess I will say that I did get lucky with my collection barrels in that they came with the lockable, removeable lids. I think they even came with a gasket of some kind on the lid for sealing.

                          Still would be a major chore to do it that way. I'd have to be collection some major oil before I would even consider doing it that way.
                          Greasin & Grinin
                          Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                          2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                          2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                          2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by HORSEMOVER View Post
                            Clay - what is wrong with a pink crane? Might look good on your rig man. You could paint your barrels purple for a custom look.
                            Heck Clay, just throw a rainbow tag on the front plate holder and you'd have a trifecta!

                            LOL...
                            Greasin & Grinin
                            Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                            2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                            2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                            2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                            Comment


                            • #15


                              IT IS ORANGE!!!!

                              You guys are just jealous....
                              Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X