Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

~~Lets talk about Mineral oil~~

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ~~Lets talk about Mineral oil~~

    Can it be used the same way we are using Vegi oil? Anyone have any experience with this?
    Reason i ask, the question was posted on another forum i am on and the answer seems to be "yes" as long as its not the old stuff used in transformers which contained the deadly PCBs but i still am unsure.
    After participating in that discussion, I seem to have stumbled upon a large supply of new mineral oil and want to make sure i can burn it safely without harm to the truck or my lungs.
    Anyone?
    Jason?

  • #2
    All newer VW and Audis have synthetic Mineral oil for brakes, and power steeing.Try those dealers if you go that route.Very similar in chemical composition,Our state guys burn that and there old hydraulic un-converted(Dt444,DT466)so there has to be some truth to the info.Get the ASTM and cross reference chemical ingredients.Good luck keep me posted(lots of hydraulic and mineral oils on my parents farm,.greasy
    2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

    Comment


    • #3
      Anyone else?

      Comment


      • #4
        Been running transformer oil (Mineral oil) for a few years now in my truck and my wife's Excursion with no problems. The stock pump can handle it, you just might have to cut it with a little diesel in the winter.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JoJon View Post
          Been running transformer oil (Mineral oil) for a few years now in my truck and my wife's Excursion with no problems. The stock pump can handle it, you just might have to cut it with a little diesel in the winter.
          sweet, thats what i was lookini for. How much do you cut it in winter?
          Would it be beter to just run it in the vegi tank?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CHenry View Post
            sweet, thats what i was lookini for. How much do you cut it in winter?
            Would it be beter to just run it in the vegi tank?
            Clay, you've been over on PS.org haven't you? LOL...

            I saw this topic posted over there as well.

            I never knew transformers had this stuff in them. So how did you guys come across this idea?

            And what kind of source would have a lot of this stuff?
            Greasin & Grinin
            Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
            2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
            2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
            2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

            Comment


            • #7
              I spend more time over there than here actually...lol

              I'm not talking about using transformer oil - just so happens that is one application for mineral oil.

              If you read it over at PS.org then you may have read Justins post about where it comes from.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                sweet, thats what i was lookini for. How much do you cut it in winter?
                Would it be beter to just run it in the vegi tank?
                Well it don't get to cold around here but I do about a 75/25 mineral oil/diesel mix, I know if the mix is to heavy with oil by the sound of the lift pump straining. Take a sample and mix it with diesel in a jar and put in the frig, keep track of the temp it gels at. Also check for any separation or settling do the same with WVO.

                If you don't want to do all that then just run in the vegi tank, the wife's Ex isn't converted so I have to keep an eye on things.
                Last edited by JoJon; 10-15-2008, 01:29 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JoJon View Post
                  Well it don't get to cold around here but I do about a 75/25 mineral oil/diesel mix, I know if the mix is to heavy with oil by the sound of the lift pump straining. Take a sample and mix it with diesel in a jar and put in the frig, keep track of the temp it gels at. Also check for any separation or settling do the same with WVO.

                  If you don't want to do all that then just run in the vegi tank, the wife's Ex isn't converted so I have to keep an eye on things.
                  I'm not actually interested in using it in my main tank. The vegi system will keep everything nice and viscous
                  Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Clay, what kind of place will you be getting this oil from? I noticed something in the thread at PS.org about a pump company? Is that your plan?

                    I did a couple searches on using mineral oil as fuel, but there isn't a lot of info on it out there apparently.
                    Greasin & Grinin
                    Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                    2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                    2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                    2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Marv View Post
                      Clay, what kind of place will you be getting this oil from? I noticed something in the thread at PS.org about a pump company? Is that your plan?

                      I did a couple searches on using mineral oil as fuel, but there isn't a lot of info on it out there apparently.
                      Yeah some kind of pump company. Up in Tulsa, about 2 hours from me.
                      Not alot of info about it but i may try it.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X