Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For folks with 275 gallon totes - how did you plumb them in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For folks with 275 gallon totes - how did you plumb them in?

More specifically, what fittings did you use to adapt the 2" fitting on the tote down to a more useable 3/4" or 1" line?

My tote has the standard (I believe) 2" fitting on it and I need to get it down to 3/4" clear tubing if possible. I picked up a 2" PVC female adaptor and a reducer to bring it down to 3/4" (also in PVC), but seems like I've read that folks don't recommend PVC in this application.

Any truth to that? Will the PVC work okay for reducing it down? If not, anyone know if they make metal (black pipe) reducer fittings in that size?

I'd be more hesitant screwing a metal reducer fittings on those plastic threads I believe. Seems like it'd be awful easy to strip them off.

Thanks in advance!
    Greasin & Grinin
    Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
    2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
    2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
    2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

I use a PVC reducer and haven't had any problems. Some totes have a non-standard thread on them, but they do make an adapter to convert it to standard thread. If your reducer doesn't fit, let me know and I'll try to find a link with part number for the adapter.
    '01 F350, lariat LE, cc, lb, drw, TSP 6pos. chip w/ swamps ss tunes, FF stage 1.5, MBRP 4" turbo back, cooling mist water injection.

Comment

Mine had the 2" and a cap that screws on it. I plumbed it just like I did my prefilter barrel. Drill a 3/4" hole in the cap and thread in a metal 3/4" barbed fitting. Works great.
      The plastic is easy to thread the fitting in and as long as you don't make your hole to big, it will fit snug and never leak a drop.

Comment

I use pvc adapters from Lowe's like you have stated on all 3 of my 330 gallon totes for a couple of years now with now issues. You should be good to go.
        1999.5 F-250
        180CC Singles
        Diesel Innovations 5 Position Chip
        Home Brewed WVO System 40,000 miles and counting

Comment

Thanks guys, I definitely appreciate the tips! I figured PVC would serve me just fine, but wanted to get the opinions of others before I slapped it on there.

Hope to get it plumbed in so I can use the pump I already have on my filtering setup. Would be nice to avoid the cost of buying a second one.
          Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Originally posted by greasedltn View Post
            I use a PVC reducer and haven't had any problems. Some totes have a non-standard thread on them, but they do make an adapter to convert it to standard thread. If your reducer doesn't fit, let me know and I'll try to find a link with part number for the adapter.

Greased, if you don't mind, go ahead and send me that link just in case. I believe it's standard thread, but I could be wrong.

Would be nice to know where to get an adaptor if I do need one.

Thanks!
            Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Currently, I just use the 6" top opening on mine to go in and out of. Some of mine have a solid top cap and some have a top cap with a bung in it. I eventually want to use air pressure with that bung cap. I understand there are fittings you can get with an air nipple that screw into those. Then, fill with 8-10 psi & the oil comes out using a stand pipe.

That description may not have been very helpful, sorry.
              '02 7.3L Excursion Limited; ~242Kmi total; ~157Kmi on WVO
              Vegistroke V3 (4/09); HIH, Aux Pump, FPHE (11/10); PHP Gryphon custom; 6637;
              WW; Turbomaster; EBPV delete; 4" exhaust; Terminator HPOP; Tru-cool; Evans NPG+;
              ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator; F650 dash; etc.

Comment

Eric, here's a link to the pump I use. They are also available from Harbor Freight. I remember finding them for about $40 somewhere but I can't remember what site. All you have to do to use it in the tote is modify the downpipe to the correct length (take into account the "balloon" factor when you pressurize the tote).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Air-B...motiveQ5fTools

Comment

Thanks, Josh! That looks like just the ticket!
                  '02 7.3L Excursion Limited; ~242Kmi total; ~157Kmi on WVO
                  Vegistroke V3 (4/09); HIH, Aux Pump, FPHE (11/10); PHP Gryphon custom; 6637;
                  WW; Turbomaster; EBPV delete; 4" exhaust; Terminator HPOP; Tru-cool; Evans NPG+;
                  ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator; F650 dash; etc.

Comment

I just set up 2 totes with floating suctions. I had this ribbed clear poly hose laying around and stuck a foot valve on the end of it with a 2 liter bottle for a float. Hoses currently just stuck thru top hole right now, I will drill a hole in each cap for them eventually. Using HF 1" clear water pump to pull from 'dirty' tote and fill WH (still). 'Clean' tote also using HF pump to push thru final filter into trucks...

I've heard drilling holes/adding bulkhead fittings in totes will make them stress crack eventually???
                    Last edited by skyskijason; 05-04-2009, 09:07 PM.
                    2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                    2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                    veggiegarage.com authorized installer

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Comment

Originally posted by skyskijason View Post
                      I just set up 2 totes with floating suctions. I had this ribbed clear poly hose laying around and stuck a foot valve on the end of it with a 2 liter bottle for a float. Hoses currently just stuck thru top hole right now, I will drill a hole in each cap for them eventually. Using HF 1" clear water pump to pull from 'dirty' tote and fill WH (still). 'Clean' tote also using HF pump to push thru final filter into trucks...

I've heard drilling holes/adding bulkhead fittings in totes will make them stress crack eventually???

Thanks for the input Jason, I appreciate it. I hadn't considered using foot valves and what not.

The tote I'm using is for clean, filtered oil only. My plan was to fill the tote through the top from my still and pull from the bottom (when needed), run it back through my filter one more time, and then into the truck tank. If plumbed right, this would allow me to use only one pump - the one I already have plumbed into my still.

However, after thinking about it for a bit, I was concerned if there would be any issues with pulling oil off the bottom. As I said, this is clean, filtered oil, but I just was curious if anything else might settle out of it over time - even though the majority should be out at this point.

The tote is full right now with 275 gallons of clean oil, and I'd like to start using it soon. My plan is to fill the truck from the tote, clean my next batch and then pump it back into the tote. That way my stash is continually being rotated and I don't have the same oil sitting for months.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
                      Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Try not to pull from the very bottom... but with a 4'x4' area on the bottom even if you pulled from an inch or 2 up from the bottom you'll possibly save yourself some greif. You may even see some accumulation that could prevent problems.
                        Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
                          Try not to pull from the very bottom... but with a 4'x4' area on the bottom even if you pulled from an inch or 2 up from the bottom you'll possibly save yourself some greif. You may even see some accumulation that could prevent problems.
                          Thanks Jack, that's what I was thinking.

Only reason I had considered pulling from the bottom was due to the fact that the tote already had a bulkhead fitting plumbed into it there from the factory. It's 2" I believe and would work great if I wasn't concerned about pulling directly off the bottom.

I've considered pulling and filling from the top...might just go that route.

Thanks!
                          Greasin & Grinin

Comment

You could elevate the front of tote a little, effectively making valve a few inches higher than 'tank bottom'. That way, you'd allow a place for any possible condensation, etc to settle out. Just be sure to slurp any accumulation in the low spot as needed!

I've also considered a 'dual outlet' using the existing valve. Picture a tee and a HIH type set-up using smaller (than 2") tubing/pvc/??? to reach up a little off the bottom. Then, the other side of tee could be used to drain bottom... Haven't sorted out the details yet, so let me know if ya figure out how to do this!!
                            2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                            2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                            veggiegarage.com authorized installer

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Comment

Something simple like this would allow you to pull out the bottom after you have some bad stuff down there, and would also allow you to pull good oil from slightly above the bottom.

Find a 2" cap and just put 2 2/3" bungs on it.

I don't deal with totes, so I'm shooting from the hip here.
                              Attached Files
                              Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

Working...
                              X