Dry WVO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skyskijason View Post
    Mist washing is an effective way to clean and dewater WVO, but it’s more complicated than other methods and therefore seldom used.

You need to heat up a vessel of WVO (120-200*F) and then spray a fine mist of (ideally HOT water - so you don’t cool the oil with it) over the oil. As the water droplets precipitate through the oil, any water soluble particles in the oil are leached out and fall to the bottom with the water droplets. This can produce the cleanest, driest oil possible and can be done with no settling or any kind of filtering prior to the mist wash. Generally, this oil can then be pumped directly through a fuel filter and into the truck (after testing for water content of course).

A ‘continuous mist washing system’ can be set up by having a port on the bottom of the misting barrel that is plumbed up the side of the barrel to the max level you want to fill the barrel. - usually a few inches below the top. You will only fill the barrel 2/3rds of the way with WVO, then start misting. The water will fall through the oil to the bottom and go out the bottom of the barrel and ‘overflow’ out the discharge into the garden or whatever.

Mist washing is the only way I know to remove caustic cleaners like Boil Out the restaurants sometimes use to clean the fryers. It will also break those stubborn oil/water emulsions that are usually the result of PUMPING ‘wet’ oil that has a high fat content. (Fats have a HIGH affinity for water - creating these troublesome emulsions).

Having said all of that, TIME is the best filter. If you are able to let WVO ‘settle’ in a warm place for a couple months - you can often get away with just filtering ‘dry’ oil off the top. In cold climates, this could be something like an old water bed heater under an insulated (fiberglass batts) tote.

More commonly, we expedite the setting process by heating up batches of oil like Cashflo described. The ‘Frybrid Still’ was an early (overly complicated...) version of this method that utilized a salvaged water heater to Heat and Settle WVO.
    mist washing pure waste cooking oil will do what? I think you are confused with biodiesel. Hot water into hot oil will homogenize. A different way to get water out of oil is sulfuric acid and methanol but it gets expensive and kind of not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by erbilabuc View Post

mist washing pure waste cooking oil will do what? I think you are confused with biodiesel. Hot water into hot oil will homogenize. A different way to get water out of oil is sulfuric acid and methanol but it gets expensive and kind of not worth it.
      Mist washing WVO can effectively clean and dewater it.

Yes, this method is commonly used to clean biodiesel. No, I’m not confused.

Spraying water over oil will not create an emulsion (is that what you meant by ‘homogenize’?). The water will fall right through the oil and rest in the bottom of the container. Heating the oil is required to reduce viscosity and allow the water to fall through faster/easier.

Sulfuric acid and methanol is not a method for removing water from oil. Seems like you may be confused with biodiesel??
      2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
      2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
      veggiegarage.com authorized installer

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Comment

I never did. However I don't use fb, at least I rarely anyway. I always have better things to do and fb is like a vortex for me ; )

Originally posted by Bitterroot Diesel View Post
        Did you find them?
        A 2003 F250 XLT "bullet-proofed" - she runs like a raped ape
        A 2005 Excursion Limited "bullet-proofed" - is pretty quick for weighing 9,200 lbs.

A large part of me wants to run my F250 with a twin-turbo setup; but can I justify the cost while not pulling the cab? :poke:

Of course I say "Yes I can, oh yes I can" yet my wife will say :hellno:

Comment

That's too bad, $25-30 each is way better than the normal $125 each.
          2006 F-350 King Ranch Crew Cab Long Box 4x4
          2001 Excursion Limited 4x4
          2000 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Box 4x4 ZF6, V4 March 2013

Comment

Where did you find them available in Nampa?

Originally posted by Bitterroot Diesel View Post
            That's too bad, $25-30 each is way better than the normal $125 each.
            A 2005 Excursion Limited "bullet-proofed" - is pretty quick for weighing 9,200 lbs.

A large part of me wants to run my F250 with a twin-turbo setup; but can I justify the cost while not pulling the cab? :poke:

Comment

Photo attached.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Bitterroot Diesel, now I just need to pick some of the totes up and wait a few months for the grease to settle ; )

Again though, I appreciate your help! However I have to ask, how is it you could find them where I failed miserably?

Comment

Good question.

Comment

Show me your setup of mist washing WVO please. Sulfuric acid and methanol is a very effective way to dewater oil in high water content WVO as I do it in my BIOPRO. Mist washing WVO even though I have never ever heard or seen; seems counter productive because WVO will absorb water very fast. Yes some water will settle to the bottom but there will be water suspended in the oil that only settling over time with some heat or a centrifuge can get out.

Originally posted by skyskijason View Post

Mist washing WVO can effectively clean and dewater it.

Yes, this method is commonly used to clean biodiesel. No, I’m not confused.

Spraying water over oil will not create an emulsion (is that what you meant by ‘homogenize’?). The water will fall right through the oil and rest in the bottom of the container. Heating the oil is required to reduce viscosity and allow the water to fall through faster/easier.

Sulfuric acid and methanol is not a method for removing water from oil. Seems like you may be confused with biodiesel??

Comment

Working...
                    X