Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filtering in the cold

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Filtering in the cold

    What solutions have you guys come up with for filtering in the cold? I have a water heater based "still" setup but I have a problem getting the oil prefiltered before pumping into the still.

    I'm just trying to screen down to 400u in my prefilter barrel but the cold oil doesn't go through it. So, I guess I need to heat the oil before prefiltering but using a barrel heater 5G at a time will take forever.

    Anybody have a slick solution to this problem? So far my best idea is to make sure I have enough oil ready to go BEFORE the winter next year and stick to filtering in the warmer months.

  • #2
    I heat 5 gallons at a time with a bucket heater...takes about 10 minutes to heat 5 gal. and then pour it through the 400u strainer. works well.

    Comment


    • #3
      I insulated my shed and put a small heater in it...you'd be amazed how much of a difference there is now. Oil I had that was set up like jello is back to a totally almost clear, liquid state.

      I also picked up one of the bucket heaters Clay mentioned, but I haven't used it yet. Before I decided to insulate my shed, I had thought of picking up one of the large galvanized watering tubs (100 gallons or so from TS or the Co-Op), putting three to four cubes in it and filling it up with water around them. Then I'd use the bucket heater to heat the water around them. Figured it wouldn't take too long to get the water up to an acceptable temp. I just figured that would be easier on the heater than repeatedly soaking it with vegi oil.
      Greasin & Grinin
      Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
      2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
      2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
      2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

      Comment


      • #4
        MArv, those heaters take a long time to heat water. Only takes about 10 minutes to heat 5 galons of vegi though.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have one 55 gal drum with no top that I pour all the oil into. I have a heater band on it and heat it to around 140*. Then I pump it through a 100 micron strainer. Flows real nice at that temp. The pump has a strainer attached to the suction hose to prevent large particles from messing up the pump. I have done this for over a year, and the pump is still going strong.

          Comment


          • #6
            I just keep 8-10 cubies in my basement at all times. Whenever I need oil it is ready to go - then I replenish those in the basement as needed. One of these days I will get around to adding a heated toolroom/workshop in my barn and that will make it even easier. Sounds like a pain but nice warm oil is so easy to work with and I just load them up on the 4 wheeler to transport between the house and barn. I have stairs from my garage to my basement so it really isn't that bad.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hooter View Post
              I have one 55 gal drum with no top that I pour all the oil into. I have a heater band on it and heat it to around 140*. Then I pump it through a 100 micron strainer. Flows real nice at that temp. The pump has a strainer attached to the suction hose to prevent large particles from messing up the pump. I have done this for over a year, and the pump is still going strong.
              Hooter, what pump are you using? Mine seems to have given up the ghost and won't move any oil at any temp
              2001 F250 Crew Cab V3 Conversion

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                MArv, those heaters take a long time to heat water. Only takes about 10 minutes to heat 5 galons of vegi though.
                Interesting...I would have thought that it'd be the other way around. Quick to heat water, but slow for oil.

                So does yours do okay in the oil? How do you clean it up after each use?
                Greasin & Grinin
                Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Marv View Post
                  Interesting...I would have thought that it'd be the other way around. Quick to heat water, but slow for oil.

                  So does yours do okay in the oil? How do you clean it up after each use?
                  Oil seems to conduct heat faster than oil i tryed heating a bucket of water when i first got it and it took a long time. Then i did it on a cubie of oil poured into the bucket and about 10 minutes and the oil was nice and hot to the touch. I just unplug the heater and lift it up and the hot oil quickly drips off the heater and i set it in my oil drain pan...when the dogs come in the shop they head straight to it and clean it off good for me
                  Last edited by Clay; 02-03-2009, 12:17 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Marv View Post
                    Interesting...I would have thought that it'd be the other way around. Quick to heat water, but slow for oil.
                    I was thinking that too, but I actually just read last night in the "SVO" book by Forrest Gregg that the specific heat of water is about twice that of veggie, meaning it takes twice the energy to raise it by 1 degree.
                    -Drew
                    V3'd 2000 Excursion - gone but not forgotten
                    2014 6.7L - smells nice

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This is why most space heaters(Radiator type) are filled with oil,FYI organic......Easier to ship from China................
                      2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                        ...when the dogs come in the shop they head straight to it and clean it off good for me
                        Your not kidding about the dogs thing. My three dogs are drawn to the oil like a magnet!... Maybe I could save some on dog food bills!?!?!
                        2005 F350 Harley: Heat Induction Hood, ARE Bed Cover, DashHawk, MBRP turbo back, cat delete, SCT: Tunes by Spartan, Exhaust Sound Videos HERE

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                          Oil seems to conduct heat faster than oil i tryed heating a bucket of water when i first got it and it took a long time. Then i did it on a cubie of oil poured into the bucket and about 10 minutes and the oil was nice and hot to the touch. I just unplug the heater and lift it up and the hot oil quickly drips off the heater and i set it in my oil drain pan...when the dogs come in the shop they head straight to it and clean it off good for me
                          Wow, sounds like it does do better with oil. Never would have thought that. Good to hear that the oil comes off easily too.

                          But, I don't want to hear it when your dogs get too fat and lazy to do anything!!! LOL....
                          Greasin & Grinin
                          Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                          2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                          2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                          2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by fiveohpatrol View Post
                            I was thinking that too, but I actually just read last night in the "SVO" book by Forrest Gregg that the specific heat of water is about twice that of veggie, meaning it takes twice the energy to raise it by 1 degree.
                            Good info Drew, I appreciate it. I had wondered if there was some property of the oil that lended itself to easier heating, but just hadn't taken the time to research it.

                            Looks like you did it for me! :cheers:
                            Greasin & Grinin
                            Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                            2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                            2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                            2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FastCote View Post
                              Your not kidding about the dogs thing. My three dogs are drawn to the oil like a magnet!... Maybe I could save some on dog food bills!?!?!
                              Cats too. I caught ours licking up some that had leaked out of an old collection barrel I had sitting around.

                              Since I didn't know what it'd do her, I had to cover it up so she'd leave it alone. I don't need any vet bills for a sick cat...haha.
                              Greasin & Grinin
                              Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                              2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                              2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                              2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X