Oil vs Grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil vs Grease

Just a question, I am sorta new to this and I have been cold screening my raw oil that I collect through 100 micron barrel filters, this catches the grease and I just scoop it out and put it back in the carboys I get the oil in and throw it away, as it gets colder in my garage this is taking longer and longer to pre screen. Do any of you use the grease too? I heat the screened oil to around 200 degrees and then filter through 2 whole house water filters I got from Lowes, the first one is 20 microns and the second is 5 microns, then to the truck.

link no worky try this
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct%5Fid=19540

I use the animal fat. IT burnes nicely. Makes fitration a little more challenging but i deal with it.

Comment

So you use not only the pancake syrup, but the applesauce as well as the peanut butter too

I've been throwing away the thicker stuff, so this afternoon I started using a 110volt bucket heater for the prescreening. It cut down on my waste on ten gallons from around one and a half gallons of sludge to about a quarter cup of trash.

Comment

the apple sauce is about the worst stuff i see...no peanut butter but if it melts when i heat it, i use it.
        I also use a bucket heater to warm the oil before prescreening...makes life alot easier.

Comment

I used to avoid the sludge animal fat, but here lately I've just been dumping it in.

I've got about 5 gallons of it sitting to the side that I need to buy a bucket heater for. I plan on warming that stuff up and pouring it in the still...
          Greasin & Grinin
          Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
          2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
          2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
          2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

压缩机储气罐

上海苏邦机电设备有限公司专业代理销售上海申江压力容器有限公司生产的申江储气罐,上海申江压力容器有限公司是国家质量技术监督局(原由国家劳动局)核准的D1、D2级(一、二类)压力容器设计 、制造单位 是目前国内D1、D2级(一、二类)空分设备(储气罐)最大生产商。能够生产容积0.3 M3—70.0M3,共100多个规格的 系列化立式储气罐,销售网络普及全国20多个省市的近百家经销商。同时 与全国数十家压缩机厂配套生产 微型空压机用压力容器。除此之外,按用户需求(来图来样)承接其它各种DI.DZ级(一.二类)压力容器的 设计、制造。   申江人以一流产品质量.一流优质售前售后服务,赢得广大用户认同,实现了储气罐的销量及市场占 有 率等几个同行第一 在客户中一向以可靠的质量和良好的信誉著称,多年来一直被各级政府评为“重合同、 守信用’先进单位。 储气罐、氮气储气罐、空气储气罐、压缩机储气罐、不锈钢储气罐、高压储气罐,我公司制造销售压力容器和储气罐、不仅能储存一定量的气量,且输出空气压力比较平稳,同时能降低气路中的温度,除去一部分水、灰尘 、杂质。储气罐采用高品质材料作原料,利用先进的焊接技术作业,通过了ISO9001认证,能通过任何安全 检查。

Comment

Originally posted by lyjf0306 View Post
              上海苏邦机电设备有限公司专业代理销售上海申江压力容器有限公司生产的申江储气罐,上海申江压力容器有限公司是国家质量技术监督局(原由国家劳动局)核准的D1、D2级(一、二类)压力容器设计 、制造单位 是目前国内D1、D2级(一、二类)空分设备(储气罐)最大生产商。能够生产容积0.3 M3—70.0M3,共100多个规格的 系列化立式储气罐,销售网络普及全国20多个省市的近百家经销商。同时 与全国数十家压缩机厂配套生产 微型空压机用压力容器。除此之外,按用户需求(来图来样)承接其它各种DI.DZ级(一.二类)压力容器的 设计、制造。   申江人以一流产品质量.一流优质售前售后服务,赢得广大用户认同,实现了储气罐的销量及市场占 有 率等几个同行第一 在客户中一向以可靠的质量和良好的信誉著称,多年来一直被各级政府评为“重合同、 守信用’先进单位。 储气罐、氮气储气罐、空气储气罐、压缩机储气罐、不锈钢储气罐、高压储气罐,我公司制造销售压力容器和储气罐、不仅能储存一定量的气量,且输出空气压力比较平稳,同时能降低气路中的温度,除去一部分水、灰尘 、杂质。储气罐采用高品质材料作原料,利用先进的焊接技术作业,通过了ISO9001认证,能通过任何安全 检查。
              Indeed! Well said
              2001 F250 Crew Cab V3 Conversion

Comment

Try adding an extra barrel on you filtration setup. Stretch some screen over the top of it and clamp it securely. The applesauce will go through fairly easy. Use a band heater or whatever and heat the entire barrel. Pump the hot oil out and through your 100 micron stainer, and it will go through nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by SwellMel View Post
                  Just a question, I am sorta new to this and I have been cold screening my raw oil that I collect through 100 micron barrel filters, this catches the grease and I just scoop it out and put it back in the carboys I get the oil in and throw it away, as it gets colder in my garage this is taking longer and longer to pre screen. Do any of you use the grease too? I heat the screened oil to around 200 degrees and then filter through 2 whole house water filters I got from Lowes, the first one is 20 microns and the second is 5 microns, then to the truck.

link no worky try this
                  http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct%5Fid=19540
                  I don't see any method for dewatering the oil described here?? There is no reason to hit 200* prefiltering EVER, imho. (I shoot for 110-120*, then settle 24hrs or so and drain off any previously emulsified/suspended water). Also, water filters can allow particles MUCH larger than their 'micron rating' thru. They are "nominal" rated filters. Make sure somewhere in there you are using a 'fuel filter' with at least a 5 micron "absolute" rating.

As an aside, I found water filters were not very economical if they were actually filtering anything. For a looong time, I had just a couple of sources and the WVO was very, very clean and often settled for weeks before I filtered it. The water filters lasted a long time (there was nothing to filter!). I now collect ALOT more oil and cannot be nearly as picky and do not have the luxury of settling for as long before filtering. I use SS strainer basket (cleanable/reusable) about 100 microns for initial filter and a series of fuel filters after - 30mic, 10mic and 2mic. So far, much more economical AND much higher flow rate without danger of failure due to heat. (the water filter housings/elements don't take heat, pressure and VO so good...) The water filters were only $2 ea, but either plugged up or structurally failed (changed shape and allow dirty oil past) after just a few gallons.

I recently put all the stuff you described as 'throwing away' in a drum and heated and settled it. 85% ended up being burnable oil (and animal fats). The problem can be getting this stuff to the truck tank (must be warm to pump) and then out of the VO tank on truck at switchover. If the oil is not liquid and the whole tank is heated, it may take longer to get the oil near the fuel pick-up warm enough to be sucked out... (I have 'extreme heat' in both of my conversions, so the THICK stuff is no problemo ) In fact, I often take the PHO and high-fats oils other conversions cannot use and used it in my junk!:chuckles:

I get the fuel filter heads for as low as $10 ea and filters as low as $4 ea. Its hard to beat the 10 mic Golderod-style filters ($4ish elements at tractor supply). Don't bother with the (more expensive) water-block fuel filters, they will not stop water in VO anyway...
                  Last edited by skyskijason; 03-08-2009, 11:53 AM.
                  2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                  2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                  veggiegarage.com authorized installer

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Comment

Working...
                  X