Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filter Bag Housing Sources?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Filter Bag Housing Sources?

    Since I pretty much live in the McMaster catalog here at work, finding the proper Filter Bag Housing as pictured in Clay's still was not much problem.

    Since I have a little bit of time before I need to finish the project, I've been searching for a source of used filter bag housings. Normally, I'm pretty good at that sort of search, but I've turned up nothing. It seems that these are the parts that are automatically disposed of when removing equipment like restaurant dishwashers, CNC equipment, and other stuff.

    Has anyone found a source for these items used?

    Regards,
    Dale

  • #2
    they pop up on ebay from time to time... but mostly very large ones or SS and then they are $$
    2005 6.0l X
    V3 running 8/6/08
    40gal frame mounted tank

    Live by the grease, die by the grease

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Dale Seeley View Post
      Since I pretty much live in the McMaster catalog here at work,
      I want a job like yours...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CHenry View Post
        I want a job like yours...
        To give you an idea of how much stuff we buy for the tinker shop, labs, and the manufacturing floor, we have same day private courier service at no extra cost. Order by 10 am, it's here by 2pm.

        We should start receiving the big tins of holiday popcorn from them pretty soon

        Nearly all of my accumulated filtration still parts are discarded, possibly new, stuff from lab and shop cleanups. 55 gallon poly drums that held Simple Green, various pumps, brass fittings, pipe, internal and external barrel heaters, tubing, hoses, pressure gauges, ball valves, electrical boxes, whosits, and whatnots.

        I've searched the building and storage trailers for the filter housing, and believe I've finally found something we don't just have lying around from a previous project or experiment.

        I am thinking about making one, we fabricate 7" dia by 28" tall stainless dewars for liquid oxygen all day long. I'd just need to make the two flanges that hold the bag and Tig them on. The hard part would be finding scrap stainless plates big enough.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dale Seeley View Post

          I am thinking about making one, we fabricate 7" dia by 28" tall stainless dewars for liquid oxygen all day long. I'd just need to make the two flanges that hold the bag and Tig them on. The hard part would be finding scrap stainless plates big enough.
          just get some 1/8" SS plate and cut yourself a strip about 1/2" wide.

          Roll it to the shape of the housing and weld in in a hoop shape (then welded to the housing)
          2005 6.0l X
          V3 running 8/6/08
          40gal frame mounted tank

          Live by the grease, die by the grease

          Comment


          • #6
            use a metal pipe of the right diameter, weld in the flange and make a lid. I saw one that a guy made and it turned out nice. No real reason it has to be machined aluminum or SS.

            Comment


            • #7
              Dale did you say Tinker? As in Tinker AFB?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                Dale did you say Tinker? As in Tinker AFB?
                No, sorry... Tinker as in "the machine shop that we're allowed to tinker around with stuff", as opposed to the "Model Shop" where the prototypes are made which is more controlled, but not as controlled as the "Production Machine Shop" where there is currently a 'wanted' poster of me because I got caught 'borrowing' their gauge pins for the prototype shop.

                You guys did give me another idea, for which I'm appreciative. I did run across some 6" OD aluminum (weldable!) pipe. Scrap aluminum for flanges will be easy to find...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dale Seeley View Post
                  No, sorry... Tinker as in "the machine shop that we're allowed to tinker around with stuff", as opposed to the "Model Shop" where the prototypes are made which is more controlled, but not as controlled as the "Production Machine Shop" where there is currently a 'wanted' poster of me because I got caught 'borrowing' their gauge pins for the prototype shop.

                  You guys did give me another idea, for which I'm appreciative. I did run across some 6" OD aluminum (weldable!) pipe. Scrap aluminum for flanges will be easy to find...
                  You will also need to make a basket to hold the filter bag inside the housing...maybe you could buy that cheap from mcmasters.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dale Seeley View Post
                    We should start receiving the big tins of holiday popcorn from them pretty soon

                    Nearly all of my accumulated filtration still parts are discarded, possibly new, stuff from lab and shop cleanups. 55 gallon poly drums that held Simple Green, various pumps, brass fittings, pipe, internal and external barrel heaters, tubing, hoses, pressure gauges, ball valves, electrical boxes, whosits, and whatnots.
                    Dale, just go ahead and forward one of those popcorn tins to me....I'll take care of it over the holidays...LOL.

                    Wish I could score cool parts like that at work...that'd be awesome.
                    Greasin & Grinin
                    Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                    2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                    2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                    2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X