Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolute Centrifuge (bowl-type) vs

Hello all,

I'm still researching the various filtration set-ups and came across this one: http://www.absolutecentrifuge.com

I personally have a hard time justifying another expensive purchase on top of the conversion to "save money" -- but I also am looking for the least time-intensive collecting and processing options. This appears to be a lower cost yet high quality bowl-type centrifuge than others I've seen out there. I wondered what others folks with experience thought.

I personally like the idea of just using a 55-gallon drum and a simple heating element to heat/settle and then drain the crud and then pump the top stuff through a filter housing and into storage. But I know there are experienced folks who swear by the centrifuge system to do the same thing.

One complication for me is not having a warm space to do my processing in the winter -- it will be in a cold barn. It looks like the centrifuge might trump a heat/settle/filter approach for batch processing.

Again, thank you for your opinions and advice.

Regards,
    muns53
    Last edited by muns53; 11-20-2008, 09:29 PM.
    '02 7.3L Excursion Limited; ~242Kmi total; ~157Kmi on WVO
    Vegistroke V3 (4/09); HIH, Aux Pump, FPHE (11/10); PHP Gryphon custom; 6637;
    WW; Turbomaster; EBPV delete; 4" exhaust; Terminator HPOP; Tru-cool; Evans NPG+;
    ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator; F650 dash; etc.

Muns, I am looking at FastCote's simple centrifuge set up, do a search. I stay in the Schenectady area during the week, we should get together sometime:cheers:
    2001 F250 Crew Cab V3 Conversion

Comment

Muns,

I am really happy with the centi I built:

http://dinofuelalternatives.com/DFAf...ple+centrifuge

At the time though, the alternatives were REALLY expensive. I think I have less than $800 in mine, and the folks at simplecentrifuge.com did not have a turnkey available. The one you linked looks very nice. For a little more you get a more professional product than what I put together.

I should credit Leon at WVODesigns for his work. I got my idea from him when he was just starting to perfect his design. Go here for his site.

http://www.wvodesigns.com/

He has a nice video on the front page at the moment showing a gravity fed system:
      2005 F350 Harley: Heat Induction Hood, ARE Bed Cover, DashHawk, MBRP turbo back, cat delete, SCT: Tunes by Spartan, Exhaust Sound Videos HERE

Comment

I use heat and settle with the "frybrid still" design and i wouldn't trade it for anything.
        Centrifuges IMO are over rated to some extent. I'll process a batch of oil while on the couch drinking a cold one while a centrifuge operation must be babysat. No thanks.

Don't flame me centrifuge users

Comment

Originally posted by CHenry View Post
          while a centrifuge operation must be babysat. No thanks.
          I didn't know you had to babysit it? Unquestionably, babysitting a settling process would be fun, but I think you can set and forget a centrifuge to some extent.
          Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

muns53,
            Really appreciate your post. Don't know where I will eventually end up with filtering, but it's always great to know what all is available. Looks like a pretty nice unit. - Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
              I didn't know you had to babysit it? Unquestionably, babysitting a settling process would be fun, but I think you can set and forget a centrifuge to some extent.
              A centrifuge gets dirty and will not operate well when it is and you must disassemble it to clean the gunk out. You can leave it but you have to constantly return to check on it.
              Also your running it at high pressure and i personally would not be comfortable leaving it unattended with the fear of a line busting and spraying vegi oil at 90 psi all over the place.
              And the little units only run a gallon per minute and multiple passes must me made...3 - 6 so thats 3-6 hours of running it, cleaning it and waiting on it.
              Not for me.

Comment

Not for me.
                Thats why I buy my oil!!
                I forgot about all that stuff!

Comment

Jack you are missing out on all the fun. Any luck setting up delivery with that still?

Comment

Sumit must be a busy guy. He usually responds in a week... I thinks its been a week already. I'll re-e-mail.

Comment

A centrifuge gets dirty and will not operate well when it is and you must disassemble it to clean the gunk out. You can leave it but you have to constantly return to check on it.
                      Also your running it at high pressure and i personally would not be comfortable leaving it unattended with the fear of a line busting and spraying vegi oil at 90 psi all over the place.
                      And the little units only run a gallon per minute and multiple passes must me made...3 - 6 so thats 3-6 hours of running it, cleaning it and waiting on it.
                      Not for me.

Clay, All those negatives you mentioned (high pressure,small bowl, etc) only apply to the spinner/pressure type centrifuges.

Am not really arguing. Time and temperature seem to work about as well as anything. I think the centrifuge approach makes sense to the quick batch, impatient types out there. Having it to do over again, I would likely copy your still.
                      2005 F350 Harley: Heat Induction Hood, ARE Bed Cover, DashHawk, MBRP turbo back, cat delete, SCT: Tunes by Spartan, Exhaust Sound Videos HERE

Comment

Originally posted by FastCote View Post
                        Clay, All those negatives you mentioned (high pressure,small bowl, etc) only apply to the spinner/pressure type centrifuges.

Am not really arguing. Time and temperature seem to work about as well as anything. I think the centrifuge approach makes sense to the quick batch, impatient types out there. Having it to do over again, I would likely copy your still.
                        There are some positives to using the centrifuge...it does get the ick out but in my limited experience with one, it just took too long to do it over and over - each time you run it though you continue to get junk out....when do you stop? You never really see a "clean" bowl after running a batch through even if its the 5th pass. If a centrifuge would get it ALL out the first time, i would have a different view of this process.
                        I have seen several people start with the centrifuge and change to a simpler heat/ settle method or switch to a centrifuge only to switch back....

Comment

All,

I was able to pick up a used filtration still for about 1/2 price (along with a second hand V3 system for about 1/2 price), so the short-term answer for me is heat/settle/filter. The guy I purchased it from built it very similar to the one Clay has posted pictures and descriptions of on the forum.

I love the idea of the centrifuge, but just can't seem to make the economics work out as a lone greaser. Once my buddy is up and running, perhaps we can make it work together -- or possibly pick up a used CF.

But, then again, I'm a big believer in the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, soldier) principle. So, as long as the filtration system is working out & the truck filter life is decent, I'll probably stick with the still.

I can't wait to get my install done & start veggin' -- I'm grateful for all your responses and sharing of info.

Happy Thanksgiving,
                          muns53
                          WW; Turbomaster; EBPV delete; 4" exhaust; Terminator HPOP; Tru-cool; Evans NPG+;
                          ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator; F650 dash; etc.

Comment

Congrats on the awsome score there Muns
                            Welcome to the vegi world!

Comment

Thanks! I just completed a 2900 mile round trip for Thanksgiving week (NY to NC to FL to NC to NY) and would much rather have done it on veg oil than diesel. :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                              X