Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diesel pump warning light

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Diesel pump warning light

    Just installed a fuel pressure gauge on my V2. From what I see is that the FP gauge reads both diesel or svo pressure whichever is on.

    I run my system on manual all day (after V2 switches on automatically). The problem is that if I don't catch the svo pressure loss, or I have a pump problem, I can’t tell if I’m on diesel or svo. The big square light stays on in the manual position. The only way I would know is if I switch back to auto and see that the square light turns off.

    Is there a way to hook up a warning light that will light up when my diesel pump is on?
    I’m not sure what I would need to set this up. My electrical skills are less than desirable.
    2001 Excursion, V3, TS Chip, Walker BTM.
    2002 F350 Crew, V2, DP Tuner, Walker BTM.

  • #2
    In the manuall position both the wvo and the diesel pump are on. Only in auto when the green light is on the diesel pump is off. Why do you run in manuall?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by EX ON OIL View Post
      Why do you run in manuall?
      i'm curious too

      Comment


      • #4
        I do a lot of short stops (less than two minutes or so). I leave the system on manual and shut the engine down and lock her up. The temps here hover around 85 degrees or more right now so I'm not worried about heat loss. I guess I could switch it back up to auto, but it's hard to see the square light with the new green led and the red lens. (My original swith bulbs burned out and Jason replaced them with the new Green LED)

        Having a red light telling me that I'm on diesel would be more of a backup and a reminder to lay off of the diesel.
        2001 Excursion, V3, TS Chip, Walker BTM.
        2002 F350 Crew, V2, DP Tuner, Walker BTM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by EX ON OIL View Post
          In the manuall position both the wvo and the diesel pump are on. Only in auto when the green light is on the diesel pump is off. Why do you run in manuall?
          Just confirmed that the diesel pump is off only if the svo pump is up to pressure. So my assumtion is that the manual ony bypasses the auto purge.
          2001 Excursion, V3, TS Chip, Walker BTM.
          2002 F350 Crew, V2, DP Tuner, Walker BTM.

          Comment


          • #6
            In manual mode the light on the switch is a function of the switch and does not indicate the diesel pump is either on or off. The V3 system stillhas to meet the pressure requirements for the pressure switch to turn off the diesel pump.

            what the manual position does do however is bypasses the temperature switch and forces the pump on regardless of the temperature fo the oil, manifold or engine.

            In warmer climates this can mean almost instant or quicker run times on oil, but is no guarantee you are running on oil.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dfadmin View Post
              The V3 system stillhas to meet the pressure requirements for the pressure switch to turn off the diesel pump.
              He has a V2... do they work on the same concept?

              FYI - I run on AUTO, but if I'm making a short trip I will kill the key and then push the switch from AUTO to OFF immediately after. This kills the truck. Once the truck is off I switch it back to AUTO before removing my hand from the switch. This eliminates the purge and the run-time, but makes sure that when you start the truck you're on oil ASAP.

              Hope that helps.(I have a V3 though)
              Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
                He has a V2... do they work on the same concept?

                FYI - I run on AUTO, but if I'm making a short trip I will kill the key and then push the switch from AUTO to OFF immediately after. This kills the truck. Once the truck is off I switch it back to AUTO before removing my hand from the switch. This eliminates the purge and the run-time, but makes sure that when you start the truck you're on oil ASAP.

                Hope that helps.(I have a V3 though)

                Yes same principal with the V2 as well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I just added a fuel pump switch via a relay. Once the system is switched on automatically, I turn off the diesel pump, and don't worry about it. I run all day in manual mode with my frequent short stops. I keep an eye on my fuel pressure guage when accelerating to see how low my PSI gets, and what it returns to. I flip the diesel pump back on before the system purges and shuts down automatically. This lighted switch is tied to the engine run timer so it is only on when the ignition switch is on and shuts off when the purge cycle is over.


                  I use less diesel than before using this switch. I can only ass/u/me that when I floored the truck or running up a steep hill I lost svo pressure and the diesel pump kicked in (Even with a new filter). Now I run strictly svo under a heavy foot or up the hills.
                  2001 Excursion, V3, TS Chip, Walker BTM.
                  2002 F350 Crew, V2, DP Tuner, Walker BTM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hawaiian Diesel View Post

                    I use less diesel than before using this switch. I can only ass/u/me that when I floored the truck or running up a steep hill I lost svo pressure and the diesel pump kicked in (Even with a new filter). Now I run strictly svo under a heavy foot or up the hills.
                    Yep. My F350's DIY system is 'all manual' and I get ALOT more miles from VO filters for same reason. When filter gets near end of its life, pressure drops lower and lower under acceleration. The 'minimum' for me is 40psi - when FP gets to there, I'll turn D2 pump on. But, this may only happen pulling a grade - so I may use a 'lil D2 going up Vail Pass, but not burn a drop across Kansas. If my D2 pump came on at 65psi, I'd burn ALOT more D2 and VO filters may need changed 1000's of miles sooner! This may be a BAD IDEA though , and thats why DFA designed the system the way they did!

                    As for your short trips, if you leave it in auto, how long does it take to switch over after you start up again? I often bypass 'purge' when I know I'm only gonna be shut off for a minute - but I notice it takes a couple minutes for auto switchover (140* coolant at V3) after restarting some times. I figure if it did cool off that much, blending a little diesel in the fuel rails cannot hurt and it shouldn't consume much D2 anyway (.5 gals/HOUR at idle...).
                    2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                    2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                    veggiegarage.com authorized installer

                    RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by skyskijason View Post
                      Yep. My F350's DIY system is 'all manual' and I get ALOT more miles from VO filters for same reason. When filter gets near end of its life, pressure drops lower and lower under acceleration. The 'minimum' for me is 40psi - when FP gets to there, I'll turn D2 pump on. But, this may only happen pulling a grade - so I may use a 'lil D2 going up Vail Pass, but not burn a drop across Kansas. If my D2 pump came on at 65psi, I'd burn ALOT more D2 and VO filters may need changed 1000's of miles sooner! This may be a BAD IDEA though , and thats why DFA designed the system the way they did!

                      As for your short trips, if you leave it in auto, how long does it take to switch over after you start up again? I often bypass 'purge' when I know I'm only gonna be shut off for a minute - but I notice it takes a couple minutes for auto switchover (140* coolant at V3) after restarting some times. I figure if it did cool off that much, blending a little diesel in the fuel rails cannot hurt and it shouldn't consume much D2 anyway (.5 gals/HOUR at idle...).
                      Wow...Where was I the last three months?

                      I put the on/off switch inline with the V2 tap. I used a relay and wired it to my dash using a lighted switch. If the red light is on, Diesel pump is on (Verified with my pressure gauge).

                      I still start on auto until I hear the click, and I look at my pressure gauge while hitting the system to manual and switching the diesel pump off.

                      With this setup I:

                      1) know one or the other pump is on and piece of mind that both are not on the same time.

                      2) I can stomp on the pedal without the loss of svo pressure kicking the diesel pump on.


                      When I purge I turn the diesel pump on, switch the system to Auto, and turn the key off. I watch my pressure switch drop as the system shoots diesel to clear the lines, and then watch the pressure go back up to purge the injectors.


                      As far as my stops prior to this, I was purging at every stop, and when I started back up, the system would almost kick on the first minute.

                      I guess a good test would be to shoot the temp of the engine at rest to see what kind of temp you get at the svo ports.


                      I've figured I get 177 mpg to diesel (Using a lot of oil ).


                      It's not the auto system, but I definately use less diesel!!!

                      BTW 40 psi is way to low in my eyes. Especially if you don't realize it for a while.
                      2001 Excursion, V3, TS Chip, Walker BTM.
                      2002 F350 Crew, V2, DP Tuner, Walker BTM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X