How to fill RDS tank from cubies while on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fill RDS tank from cubies while on the road

Ok, i have the fill problem solved as well as then slight leak from the breather so onto my nxt thing to get dialed in. How the heck do i fill the tank when i am out of the road. Would some sort of a funnel with a bend in it work best or what do you guys use. I will most likely fill up cubies or perhaps use a 5 gallon gas can.
    2002 Excursion Limited Ultimate 7.3 PSD. DP Tuner NS, Stock, 1100 HI, 60t, 80e, 120r, 140a. 4" MBRP Exhaust. AFE stage 2 w/ Pro Guard Intake. 35" Toyo M/T & 20" AR Thug w/ Teflon Coating. Bilsteins. Vegistroke V3 VO System. 203* Therm. Pilot Bi-Xenon Head & Fog Lights. Foil Delete

I think most guys that use cubies have modified one of the lids so that they can attach a hose to the lid.

If I was to give it a shot, I'd just drill a hole slightly larger than your standard 3/4" galvanized hose adaptor, stick the threaded end of the adaptor through the lid and secure it on both sides of the lid with a 3/4" NPT nut and viton rubber washer. Slap a hose on it and let it go. Might have to punch a breather hole in the cube though so it would drain.
    Greasin & Grinin
    Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
    2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
    2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
    2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Marv View Post
      Might have to punch a breather hole in the cube though so it would drain.
      yup, that's what I've done. Just jab a knife in the bottom of it once it's inverted. It still takes a little time though, so get comfortable
      -Drew
      V3'd 2000 Excursion - gone but not forgotten
      2014 6.7L - smells nice

Comment

What MArv explained works great...these libs are however kinda brittle and after a while will crack if you bend that hose alot putting stress on the cap so try to use a real flexible hose and make it like 2' long so it will be more plyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay Henry View Post
          What MArv explained works great...these libs are however kinda brittle and after a while will crack if you bend that hose alot putting stress on the cap so try to use a real flexible hose and make it like 2' long so it will be more plyable.
          I was thinking that those filler tubes for atv's and what not that are about 2 feet long might work perfectly.
          2002 Excursion Limited Ultimate 7.3 PSD. DP Tuner NS, Stock, 1100 HI, 60t, 80e, 120r, 140a. 4" MBRP Exhaust. AFE stage 2 w/ Pro Guard Intake. 35" Toyo M/T & 20" AR Thug w/ Teflon Coating. Bilsteins. Vegistroke V3 VO System. 203* Therm. Pilot Bi-Xenon Head & Fog Lights. Foil Delete

Comment

Here's my method - 18V DeWalt screwgun and a drill pump - a washing machine hose threads onto my pump - cut hose in half, with piece threaded on each end of pump - a 10" long piece of metal tubing clamped in the suction end of hose (works good for sucking out the last tbsp in the container - when you're done, slide exit side hose onto suction tube - no mess, no heavy lifting... There's a pic in my album on this site.

I'm guessing it takes about 2 minutes to pump out a 5-gal jug, though it might be a little less if it's warm. Oh, and drill pump I picked up at the local hardware store for $8, and washing machine hose at the dump off an old machine - $0. Steel tube was a scrap piece of large brake line - 3/8"?
            Last edited by Danbeck; 06-15-2009, 05:27 PM.
            Ma always said to eat my vegetables...
            2000 Excursion w/7.3 turbo and V2, w/Superchips;
            2000 F250 w/7.3 turbo and V3, w/Superchips;
            9245 gals WVO burned so far. All filtered with denim pantlegs...

Comment

I really like the drill idea. I will probably go that route in the future. But in the meantime, I found that the lid off of a Rotella 2.5 gallon jug is the same size and treads as the cubies, but it is made of thicker, more flexible plastic. I drilled a hole and force threaded a 1" treaded nipple into the higher quality cap, installed an 18" long by 1" black rubber hose, and the cubies dump in less than a minute after you cut the bottom. I recently went on a 1000 mile round trip to Florida, bringing 6 cubies with me. I dumped them very easily with this set up, without much or any mess (just a small dribble from one). I managed to get 17.5 mpg or thereabouts. I ran out of veggie oil about 15 miles from home. But it didn't take but 30 gallons to fill it up again. I wish I could get use from the entire 40 gallon tank!

Comment

An Arizona tea jug screws into the filler, make a funnel out of it.
                Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
                  An Arizona tea jug screws into the filler, make a funnel out of it.
                  Now that sounds quick and easy for sure. I could cut the thing basicall yin half below the part that screws in and almost have it like a trough that would drain into the tank. I am going to pick one up today!

Comment

The one thing that I thought of after I was pouring oil through it was that it will burp from not getting air into the tank... so put a straw or something into the tank so it can breathe.
                    Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
                      The one thing that I thought of after I was pouring oil through it was that it will burp from not getting air into the tank... so put a straw or something into the tank so it can breathe.
                      doesn't the breather for the tank allow for the air to get out instead of having to use a straw?

Comment

Working...
                      X