The Ex is vegistroked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ex is vegistroked...

Well, 4/5/09 was LONG time in coming, but it feels AMAZING to be greasin' and grinnin'

Big HUGE thanks to Russell (2000XLIFTED) for his amazing skills and creativity and patience and persistence w- the conversion! We started yesterday (Sun, 4/5/09) around 9am-ish and finished about midnight (with some chow breaks, of course). He breezed through stuff that would have totally defeated me and my non-mechanical mofo self. Also, since our trucks are so similar, we incorporated several of his system mods, especially to the tank. I'll post up pics of that in the threads that already exist on the subject. I also need to give a shout-out to my buddy Steve who did a big chunk of the wrenching and grunt work. (FYI - he just bought an '04 6.0 Ex & aims to vegistroke it by the end of the summer.)

And just to show you what an unselfish guy he is, Russell "donated" one of the fuel lines off his truck to mine, putting it out of commission until he can hit a hydrolic shop to fix a bad, leaky connector on one of the lines I had. He also threw in my DFA HPO-cross-connect line and my PHP Gryphon EGT probe and my new serpentine belt since the motor was already torn open. Hmm... shoulda bought that new turbo I was eyeballin'...

On a performance note; I am absolutely amazed at the difference in smooth feel and healthy sound of the motor and how nicely the power band comes up. It must be a combination of the HPO-X, tapping the unused fuel ports to wake up the underused injectors, and the way it burns the veg.
    "You might be a if you own the biggest SUV ever made and it runs on fryer grease..."

I added a picture gallery to my profile which shows many, but not all, of the pics we took during the installation. Hope it's helpful.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by muns53; 05-03-2009, 10:07 PM. Reason: Updated pic gallery
    '02 7.3L Excursion Limited; ~242Kmi total; ~157Kmi on WVO
    Vegistroke V3 (4/09); HIH, Aux Pump, FPHE (11/10); PHP Gryphon custom; 6637;
    WW; Turbomaster; EBPV delete; 4" exhaust; Terminator HPOP; Tru-cool; Evans NPG+;
    ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator; F650 dash; etc.

Welcome to the club

I R ah redneck tooo Or as they call us down here in NH,a Hillbilly.Thats ok I love leaving puiruses and other hybrids in a 7.3 liter cloud of WVO smoke.........happy greasing to U..........greasy
    2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

Comment

Congrats man! Glad to hear you're now burning grease!

Greasin & Grinin
      Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
      2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
      2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
      2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

congrats! Bout time

Comment

I need at least six months before I do another another one of them. What did Jason say his time was for tapping the under hood lines, like 1 hour or something! HOW does he do that! We had good fun tho and Eric got to burn grease on the way home.
          Y2K Excursion 4X4 limited 7.3, 6" lift, 35" Rubbers, Jonathan Tuned, Single Shots, 38R, DI Up-Pipes, CoolingMist Vari-Cool Water/Meth Injection, Aftermarket Intake, 5 Isspro Gauges, Vegistroke V3, 30 Gal Frame Mounted Tank, GOT GREASE?

veggiegarage.com authorized installer

Comment

Good work guys! Sorry we missed ya for dinner at Peter Pratts Inn. Guess your schedule was a little 'ambitious'? lol (heard you were having issues)

I've had many projects that only take 1 hr, except that one PITA bolt that took 2.5hrs all by itself! I just did my alternator in under 10 mins, but without the picture, it took at least 20mins to figure out how to put the stupid belt on!

I think that after the (4) PSD's I've helped with, I could get close to the 1hr under-hood stuff... Just getting past the intimidation factor cuts the time in 1/2!
            2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
            2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Comment

welcome to the fam
              -Drew
              V3'd 2000 Excursion - gone but not forgotten
              2014 6.7L - smells nice

Comment

It was the greasiest day of my life! Well Russell was a great guy and a big help to Eric. They said I should join the forum, so here I am. The install was interesting for me as one of the team because I am not the experienced guy and not the owner, so I had no stress! I just had to wrap hose, fetch the stuff that people dropped through the engine compartment, pull wire and hose and get dirt in my eyes for 12 hours! no problem. The under the hood work looks real different for my '04 6.0. I am going to give Russell the summer to recover, and then we'll reconvene the team at my farm for the next excursion conversion!
                2004 Eddie Bauer Excursion 6.0 Powerstroke;
                K&N Custom Intake, Sinister EGR Delete, Cat delete, ARP Head Studs, Sinister Black Onyx Head Gaskets; Greasin' since 2010!

Comment

Originally posted by backwoods View Post
                  They said I should join the forum, so here I am.
                  Welcome to the board!!

Originally posted by backwoods View Post
                  ...and get dirt in my eyes for 12 hours! no problem.
                  LOL...man, way to take one for the team! That's gotta be one of the crappiest parts of the job. Everytime I'm under my truck I somehow manage to get dirt in my eyes....never fails.
                  Greasin & Grinin
                  Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                  2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                  2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                  2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

Hey, Good to see ya on the board. Lets get that 6.0 rolling. No time to waste, Eric is already logging miles!
                    Y2K Excursion 4X4 limited 7.3, 6" lift, 35" Rubbers, Jonathan Tuned, Single Shots, 38R, DI Up-Pipes, CoolingMist Vari-Cool Water/Meth Injection, Aftermarket Intake, 5 Isspro Gauges, Vegistroke V3, 30 Gal Frame Mounted Tank, GOT GREASE?

Comment

"Here's mud in yer eye." - "You'll poke your eye out kid!" - yes, it was a greasy, greasy day. And we didn't even get to do any of this... ...and we certainly didn't make it to link up with WayTall or JasonSki for dinner.

Now that the heavy work is done, we move into the "system tweaking" phase, not necessarily in this order...

1) purge/idle timer adjustment (no big deal) - COMPLETED 4/11 - 15 sec purge & 1:30 idle down
                      2) clean the motor and check for leaks (couple of those hose connections still make me wonder - could be a big deal, but nothing a hydraulic shop and some more wrenching won't cure) - COMPLETED 4/11 -- swapped in two braided stainless/teflon fuel lines & have the old long one as a spare; I also made them a bit longer than stock so that I could route them better around engine parts so they aren't touching anything and are easier to access.
                      3) sh--can the short fuel tank sender and put in a 12" one (will be fun to pull that tank out again and redo the connections and the pickup hose)
                      4) figure out why the system comes on but the green light doesn't (and whether that upside down switch matters) - COMPLETED 4/12 -- had missed one connection
                      5) change the wire connection to fix the radio/door locks issue (no big deal) - COMPLETED 4/11 -- followed the run relocate instructions
                      6) mount the project box & get a cover for under the dash (mine never had one) - COMPLETED 4/12 -- velcro for the box and cardboard under the dash work beautifully for holding it all up there - MODIFIED 4/20 -- original velcro wasn't holding well, so used more industrial strength velcro
                      7) upgrade to a pressure guage w- an A/B selector switch (sooner rather than later) - COMPLETED 5/25 -- installed an Autometer GS pressure guage (sweet looking black face, green lighting and orange pointer matches stock guages) and a silver micro switch from radio shack - up is for pressure & down is for level
                      8) get an overhead mount for the PHP Gryphon monitor (no rush) & get the custom tunes programmed (also no rush)
                      9) find a good home for my alum 51-gal truck tank (anyone want to buy it!?)
                      10) source an initial load of grease... - COMPLETED 4/17 -- thanks to VTVegiPower for 650 gallons in one shot! Woohoo!
                      11) protect the V3 to engine hose bundle better from wear and tear - COMPLETED 4/19 -- double- (and in some places triple-) wrapped the hose bundle in inner tube rubber from the V3 up past where it rubs against the valve body and zip-tied it away from the moving parts in the front axle.
                      12) COMPLETED 5/25 -- installed a six-foot 1" clear hose extension to the vent breather to keep the dang tank from puking oil when full

"Ah, so little to do; so much time. Wait, scratch that, reverse it." -Willy Wonka (he probably would have made a good greaser)
                      Last edited by muns53; 05-27-2009, 08:06 PM. Reason: more "to-do" items completed
                      WW; Turbomaster; EBPV delete; 4" exhaust; Terminator HPOP; Tru-cool; Evans NPG+;
                      ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator; F650 dash; etc.

Comment

Originally posted by muns53 View Post
                        7) upgrade to a pressure guage w- an A/B selector switch (sooner rather than later).
                        Is there a reason you would want to select to the diesel pressure when the V3 is running? That gauge, if I recall correctly, will automatically take a fuel pressure reading of whatever the fuel pressure is, be it from the diesel pump or the V3 pump.

I could be wrong, but that is the impression I was under.
                        Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

Hi Jack,

I want to have a full-sweep electric FP guage that can switch back and forth between the fuel level sender and the fuel pressure sender.

So, run around all the time with the fuel pressure showing (position A) and then check the fuel level when curious (flip to position B). DFA is offering that as an option now - either get the fuel level -or- a level & pressure guage -or- a pressure guage with an A/B switch. They are using the Autometer guage; not sure what other ones will do it. Basically, as I understand it, as long as the ohms match up between the two, it'll work. Ie: 25 psi = 1/4 tank; 50 psi = 1/2 tank; etc.

There's another thread about it on her somewhere.

Comment

Muns has it exactly right. A few years ago I discovered that the ohm range for the Fuel level sender and the fuel pressure gauge we use were the same, so you can use the same gauge and a switch to watch fuel level or pressure. It is kind of like a monster fry or a 4x4 from IN&OUT. A menu item that can be ordered, but not advertised.
                            1999 F-350 Lariat 7.3 385,000 miles and counting
                            2000 VW Jetta 2.0
                            1966 Jeep J-300 with EFI 351W

Comment

Thats badass.

Anyway to make that gauge work with the existing fuel level gauge that I got with my V3?
                              Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

Working...
                              X