Best brakes for the front of the X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best brakes for the front of the X?

I need some new brakes,again.I have only been getting 2oK miles out of front brakes.The rears hold up but including the ones I put on when I bought this is the second set up front.Is this normal for these trucks/Very interested in Aftermarket at this point,and open to all options short of a parachute
    2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

Bought my EX with 50,000 miles. At 60,000 went to dealer for fronts and now @ 115,000 with no problems. Lots of people bash dealers but I think they know their stuff and what works the best.

Comment

Greasy, I haven't changed the stock breaks on my F-250 yet, but I'm really happy with the Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads I put on my Camaro.

They seem to work really well and I know a few other folks that have used them and are pleased.

Don't know if they make them for our trucks, but might be worth looking into.
      Greasin & Grinin
      Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
      2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
      2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
      2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

I haven't replaced mine yet either, but after a little research on powerstrokenation, I think I'll go with the Hawk pads like Marv mentioned, (even though he drives a Camaro ). I seem to remember them suggesting rotors that have been cryogenically treated to minimize warping.
        -Drew
        V3'd 2000 Excursion - gone but not forgotten
        2014 6.7L - smells nice

Comment

Originally posted by fiveohpatrol View Post
          I haven't replaced mine yet either, but after a little research on powerstrokenation, I think I'll go with the Hawk pads like Marv mentioned, (even though he drives a Camaro ). I seem to remember them suggesting rotors that have been cryogenically treated to minimize warping.
          What, you Mustang guys don't like the old LS1 Camaro? :chuckles:

I'll admit, I was a huge Mustang fan for many, many years. Always wanted a 94/95 Cobra, but never was able to get one.

A few years back I bought the SS and now I guess I'm a diehard GM fan when it comes to performance and the LS series of engines. For their displacement and simplicity they're hard to beat.

Still gotta respect those Mustangs though. Love a clean, fox body or notchback.

Sorry Greasy, I derailed your thread a bit!
          Greasin & Grinin
          Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
          2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
          2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
          2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

The Hawk pads or EBC Brakes pads get good reviews. Personally, I use the 'lifetime warranty' rotors from O-Rielly's. First set on F350 went 80k or more and when they got a little shake, I stopped by store and picked up a new set - free, and no questions asked.

I have Performance Friction carbon-metallic pads on my F350, they have lasted a looong time and don't make the wheel very dirty - but stopping power is compromised. I recently threw a set of el-cheapo 'economy' pads from autozone on the Excursion (I was BROKE), and they make the wheels DIRTY as hell - but stop better than any pads I've used on my truck yet! (and lifetime free replacement!) She only got 20k out of first set of pads - dunno what they were, but went from FAT to GONE in 20k. She NEEDS DP-Tuner's new 'de-cel' tunes for her daily drive 'over the mountain' to school. Jody uses the exhaust back-pressure valve and locks TQ for a 'free' exhaust brake - brilliant! (wish he'd had that available - as well as F6 - when I got this chip!!!)
            2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
            2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
            veggiegarage.com authorized installer

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Comment

Working...
            X