Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake question

ok,

So my early 99 sat for a month without being driven while I went away on vacation. The first time I drove it when I got back I smelled the burned clutch/brake smell when I got out of the truck. At first I thought "that's weird, I wonder who can't drive stick around here"
    And now I vaguely smell it each time I drive. My gas mileage seems to have gone way down as well.
    I figured that one of my calipers was stuck. So I jacked up the front driver side and I can turn it by hand, but there is resistance. I then jacked up the passenger side and there was resistance as well.
    This isn't normal right?
    To add something else to the mix, every once in a while when I am coming to a stop I feel some sort of clunking in the truck, probably related to the brakes. I attributed this to some tools clunking around for a while, but it does seem like the brakes give out for a second and then start working again(a bit unnerving)

Any thoughts? Advice?
    Colin

2002 F350 4x4 Cab Chassis Flatbed

How do the rotors look? If they are really really rusty from sitting, pull them off the truck and clean them up. While you're at it, pull the pads and get as much rust off of those as you can. Thats all that will really happen from sitting as far as brakes go. You can move the piston in the caliper around while those other components are out. Make sure the sliders are working properly too.

Any resistance in the front end can also be a result of a bad wheel bearing, 4x4 hub or something inside the diff (if your hubs are locked). Brakes will be the least expensive to repair... by a long shot.
    Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

Check the sliders on the front brakes they tend to bind up after sitting.This will cause the pads to drag with out touching brake pedal,this would bring down MPG,and cause smell.The thump is probably the sliders grabbing at the last moment.Pretty cheap and easy fix if ya do it before eating up your rotors.Also check your e-brake out back,as that binds when sitting aswell.............greasy
      2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

Comment

Clindberg,
        I too would take a closer look at the emergency brake. Try jacking the rear end up, spin wheels and apply/release the e-brake. - Patrick

Comment

What greasy said! Tire should spin freeely after brake is released.

I clean and lube caliper slide pins every other tire rotation. (use CALIPER GREASE!) Also, make sure the little wire clip thingys are on the pads - they help pull pads off rotors after braking. Any pulling while braking is an indication of stuck calipers.

Avoid major brake problems (particularly ABS) by regularly changing brake fluid. I slurp everything out of master cylinder and refill with fresh, unopened brake fluid, then crack bleeders until clean fluid comes out. Why? Brake fluid is hygroscopic - it readily absorbs water. When brake fluid gets water in it, it becomes very corrosive. (throw away any 'extra' left in a bottle for this reason - a 1/2 can of brake fluid is USELESS!! )

If you ever change calipers or have to bleed brakes for any reason - never push brake pedal all the way to the floor! Ever notice ya often need new master cyl. after replacing calipers, etc? I stick a peice of wood or something behind pedal, limiting travel to 'normal' range. When you push the master cyl piston past where it normally goes, the crud on cylinder walls damages seals and kills it...

One more thing, never 'top off' brake fluid reservoir. There are only 2 ways it can get low. It is either leaking or the pads/shoes are worn. If the pads/shoes are worn and you add fluid, when you compress the calipers/wheel cylinders you will overflow the reservoir. If its leakin' - fix it!
          Last edited by skyskijason; 04-06-2009, 09:01 AM.
          2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
          2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
          veggiegarage.com authorized installer

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Comment

These e-brakes have other 'issues'. Let us know if that is a problem!
            2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles

Comment

I gave up on my e-brake a long time ago. My brake light switch doesn't work for the e-brake so I adjusted them one time so it held the truck on a slight incline. Then I drove with the brake on for a while without knowing it and smoked the brakes. Ever since then I haven't used the e-brake. It makes it a bit inconvenient to always have to find a flat spot to park since I have a manual. Once the weather gets a little nicer, i will try to make everything work better. It would be nice to check out the slide pins but the pouring rain and no garage situation doesn't look good.
              Colin

2002 F350 4x4 Cab Chassis Flatbed

Comment

Your e-brake is fine. It is not auto-adjusting, you gotta do it. I'll try to find a link to a good tutorial about e-brake and post it and the 'issues' in the tech section later!

Let us know how ya make out - whenever the weather cooperates...

Comment

Working...
                X