Whats a brake job cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a brake job cost

I stopped at Twin Tire shop and asked how much a brake job cost for my 350 dually today. I was shocked when they told me 400-500 dollars. Whats a brake job cost in your town?
    Elvia the HandyMan
    2000 F350 7.3 XL Dually utility/service truck
    V3 March 2008

Originally posted by Elvia View Post
    I stopped at Twin Tire shop and asked how much a brake job cost for my 350 dually today. I was shocked when they told me 400-500 dollars. Whats a brake job cost in your town?

Free....cause I do my own! Lol...

Out of curiosity, the duallys have disks in the rear right? I assumed they did, but I've never checked one out up close. I can't imagine they'd be any more difficult than your standard brake job.
    Greasin & Grinin
    Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
    2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
    2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
    2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

Could be worse price out a Ex,I just had frt and rear done I believe it was $800
      2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

Comment

4 wheel disc and if its 4x4, theres a little more work getting the front roters off to turn. If they don't need turned, i think you should be looking at around 250 including labor...think thats what I paid my tech buddy to do it in his driveway last year.
        I usually do it myself but he was doing my ball joints and called me to tell me the brakes were needing done and i just said do it.

Comment

$250 is about what I thought it would cost, give or take. they said because it was a f350 I don't really see the difference between a 250 and 350 to warrant another 150.00
          Elvia the HandyMan
          V3 March 2008

Comment

$250 is about what I thought it would cost, give or take. they said because it was a f350 I don't really see the difference between a 250 and 350 to warrant another 150.00
            hmmm...not sure about that. I would think it would be the same.

Comment

I just bought front pads and rotors for my SRW for $130 from Autozone. Took about 30 minutes to do the fronts.
              Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

i did front rotors and pads about a month ago. All parts from napa and it ran about 250.00

Better get 35kmi out of them too.

I dont cut front rotors on these trucks. It works but they are so damn heavy the front brakes take a major beating
                2005 6.0l X
                V3 running 8/6/08
                40gal frame mounted tank

Live by the grease, die by the grease

Comment

Man...I wouldn't have guessed it cost that much on these trucks. Hmm...I guess I'll definitely be doing them myself now.

Clay, that's a great sig pic by the way...haha!
                  Greasin & Grinin
                  Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                  2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                  2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                  2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

I think my O'Rielly lifetime warranty rotors were $150ish? and IIRC NAPA loaded HD calipers were a little over $200. Rear loaded calipers (NAPA) were $180ish. Brake hoses were high too...

Alot of folks run Hawk pads and there are some HIGH $$$ upgraded calipers and rotors available!!

Don't bother turning these rotors, they'll warp again first time they get hot. If they don't shake the steering wheel when ya stop - ROLL ON! My rear rotors are STOCK w/260k miles on'em.

I'd say the job can easily be done on a Sat afternoon by anyone w/a socket set and the abilty to take the tires off. 2-3 beer job, no problem!

As you can see, these aren't the cheapest parts and shop labor is expensive, period. Not thinking the price quoted is out of line if the parts are quality and the tech is good.
                    2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                    2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                    veggiegarage.com authorized installer

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Comment

Don't bother turning these rotors, they'll warp again first time they get hot. If they don't shake the steering wheel when ya stop - ROLL ON! My rear rotors are STOCK w/260k miles on'em.
                      Really?
                      My fronts are shaking a lil bit right now.....I was gonna have my friend turn em... but maybe Ill just pick up some new ones today....
                      -Shawn Collister-
                      -02 F250 7.3 - SSB V3, AC's tuned by Swamps, AIS, 38R, 4" ex, DI tranny
                      -00 F350 7.3 - CC with no back seat
                      -Multiple trailers and a bunch of other junk
                      Straight outta Wimauma

Comment

Originally posted by Tampa450 View Post
                        Really?
                        My fronts are shaking a lil bit right now.....I was gonna have my friend turn em... but maybe Ill just pick up some new ones today....
                        Yep. If it costs ya nothing, you can try it - but I think you'll be buying rotors before long anyway!

The biggest issue is "They don't build'em like they used to." OEM's gain little by selling parts that can be 're-used'. They (and the aftermarket) make much more selling that huge hunk of steel than they did 'back in the day' when we could turn rotors.... bastards!
                        2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles

Comment

Such good fedback
                          Actually, my brakes are pretty good. Its just that I had the parking brake on a couple of times and drove off. So my parking brake has nothing left to it. If I park on a incline, it will just roll down with the brake on. so, I just leave it in frist all the time when parked. Good thing we don't have any hills here in south Louisiana.
                          I don't have any shakes either. I have 194,000 on the truck now. I bought it with 180,000. I looked around and can not find an way to adjust the parking brake. Hows it done?
                          Elvia the HandyMan
                          V3 March 2008

Comment

Such good fedback
                            Actually, my brakes are pretty good. Its just that I had the parking brake on a couple of times and drove off. So my parking brake has nothing left to it. If I park on a incline, it will just roll down with the brake on. so, I just leave it in frist all the time when parked. Good thing we don't have any hills here in south Louisiana.
                            I don't have any shakes either. I have 194,000 on the truck now. I bought it with 180,000. I looked around and can not find an way to adjust the parking brake. Hows it done?

Star wheel adjuster just like yer old-fashioned drum brakes. They are drum brakes btw, its a drum-in-hat set-up - drums for e-brake inside 'hub' of rear rotors. They are NOT self-adjusting, so you're probably in luck!

If you find they will not adjust, upon disassembly you may fnd the crappy pot-metal the star wheels are made from have stripped threads. Don't buy more crap from Ford, make your own adjusters by cutting 'slots' for a screwdriver/adjuster tool to grab in a regular nut. :chuckles:

I have pics somewhere if this didn't make sense!

This 'trick' is a DFA-forum exclusive. I don't think I've ever shared it anywhere before! :cheers:

Comment

thanks
                              If you find the pics, that would be great before I take them apart
                              Elvia the HandyMan
                              V3 March 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X