Motor died today! any insight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor died today! any insight?

So I left work today and a couple miles down the road I pushed the throttle to climb a hill and she just died...dead...kaput. No spit, no sputter, just dead. Tried to start it and I could hear my diesel pump running just fine, turned over good and strong. No CEL. Popped the hood and checked everything out, nothing loose/broken/unhooked/leaking. Took off fuel cap incase of vaporlock, nothing. Waited at least 30min for motor to cool down and still no start. Finally broke down and called AAA (best $46 I ever spent by the way). Got it to the house and before unloading from flatbed I could hear the diesel pump running (forgot to turn key off when putting it in Neutral to load on flatbed). I climb up and for shits and grins turn the key. The damn thing fired right up and I drove it off the flatbed

So my original thought was CPS (is this a problem on OBS trucks?) but don't think so now. I have heard of a solenoid on the HPOP going bad and not allowing hot starts, but I never heard of it killing the truck. I'm going to check for a bad chassis ground too (truck was recently rebuilt so maybe its loose). Any ideas would be much appreciated.

By the way I was running on diesel at the time, system hadn't switched over yet.

CPS has PMS

CPS is the #1 downfall of ALL powerstroke 7.3 trucks.My CPS was a scary failure(Coming down 5 mile hill in littleton N.H.,hauling a load)and do not wish that upon my worst enemies..........I would start there.Is there still a International Dealer up in Burlington VT?I would stop in there and see if they still have some NOS DT444TE CPS's(this is the same as the "Black" CPS but with gold, Maybe Brass connections) this is the original design.If that isn't available,do some research on the gray CPS failure reports,then judge for yourself which one you want.There is also a Blue one available from International(this is good for hiway mileage and lugging around town).With all the miles you drive,I'd get one of those for those long gaunts down south.I personally have one of each(NOS black in truck,gray and blue in the glovebox).The thing about CPS's is they are cheap,in cost,and design.Basically a harmonic tuning device ,they are prone to failure,and always the first thing I check with I have to pop the Hood...............................greasy
    2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

Comment

Check it for codes first...don't just start throughing parts at it.
      It sounds electrical but check it for codes before you start guessing.

Comment

Scanned for codes and found 2 for CPS and 1 for TPS. I'm thinking the TPS was a result of the CPS problems. I got a gray CPS (only one I could find) for $27 at International dealer. Gonna throw it in and keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

Good luck,and wear you googles(I think all the dirt that passes under my truck sticks above CPS).......................greasy
          2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

Comment

Working...
          X