Filter How far can you go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter How far can you go

I have been getting about 6000 mile out of my Filters. This one is at 11000 now, How many miles are yo get out of your filters?

thank you
    veg3 april 08:
    2006 F250

Best I've seen is around 3K...hope it improves when I start burning oil again.

11000 is quite impressive!
    Greasin & Grinin
    Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
    2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
    2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
    2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

I changed my last one at 10k. Did not have the blinking light, just changed it for peace of mind.
      2006 F-250 Vegistroke

Comment

Originally posted by SC Grizz View Post
        I changed my last one at 10k. Did not have the blinking light, just changed it for peace of mind.
        ditto this. I got 10k on the last one and just went ahead and changed it while doing the oil change.

Comment

12K,And it started to blink,so out with the old and in with the new.Been Centrifuging to .25 micron,so hopefully will go 15K this time.
          2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

Comment

I use Fleetguard HF6607 6micron filter and have yet to clog one. I change it every other oil change @ 10,000 miles just for peace of mind.
            1999.5 F-250
            180CC Singles
            Diesel Innovations 5 Position Chip
            Home Brewed WVO System 40,000 miles and counting

Comment

Originally posted by Marv View Post
              Best I've seen is around 3K...hope it improves when I start burning oil again.

11000 is quite impressive!
              3000 miles is a concern. If your filtering the same way i am, you should effectively be getting the same filter results.
              I suspect you have a coolant flow issue as i did. My filter life went up after i added the coolant pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay Henry View Post
                3000 miles is a concern. If your filtering the same way i am, you should effectively be getting the same filter results.
                I suspect you have a coolant flow issue as i did. My filter life went up after i added the coolant pump.
                Yeah, I'm going to be watching it closer once I'm back on oil. Been stockpiling for months now, so I haven't used the filter hardly at all lately.

The 3K miles is really the only data point I have for the system and it was my first filter. After that, I fought pressure related issues for a long time and ended up changing filters quite often as a last resort to remedy the problem. My only conclusion was that there was trash in the tank from manufacturing that I finally managed to clean out. However, this was about the same time I stopped using oil (since diesel was down) and started stocking it up.

This current one has at least 1500-2000 on it and what little time I've used it, it hasn't given me any problems.

I'll be back on oil in the very near future since I'm running out of places to put it. I filled up my tote and my filtering setup is full too. Not to mention the 22 or so full, 5 gallon cubes I have waiting to be filtered. Got to have close to 500 gallons now.

Coolant pump is on the list for summer mods. Should be plenty hot here this summer in N. Alabama, but I hope to get one on there before next winter. I know from experience this past winter that my coolant wasn't as hot as it shouldn't have been.
                Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Did filter life increase with the addition of the coolant pump because the veg was hotter as it hit the filter? But then I'm wondering if the system is hot enough to come on, and the heater jacket is working properly, wouldn't there be enough heat there to keep veg flowing through the filter? - Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by lancaster,pa View Post
                    Did filter life increase with the addition of the coolant pump because the veg was hotter as it hit the filter? But then I'm wondering if the system is hot enough to come on, and the heater jacket is working properly, wouldn't there be enough heat there to keep veg flowing through the filter? - Patrick
                    Yes, the increased heat made an imediate difference with pressure when the oil was lacking heat trying to go through the filter. The 140* temp switch in my opionion isn't a good thing either. 140 degree oil has a much higher viscosity still than 180* oil. So yes, if the oil was at 140-145 when it hit the filter it would restrict flow as apposed to 180-190 degree oil.
                    I don't allow my system to come on anymore on auto, i wait till my coolant temp guage is reading 180 rather than 140. I am probably going to bring this up to jason. I still have my old 180* temp switch and will probably use it.

Comment

Yes, the increased heat made an imediate difference with pressure when the oil was lacking heat trying to go through the filter. The 140* temp switch in my opionion isn't a good thing either. 140 degree oil has a much higher viscosity still than 180* oil. So yes, if the oil was at 140-145 when it hit the filter it would restrict flow as apposed to 180-190 degree oil.
                      I don't allow my system to come on anymore on auto, i wait till my coolant temp guage is reading 180 rather than 140. I am probably going to bring this up to jason. I still have my old 180* temp switch and will probably use it.
                      Thanks for that info. Another question: If you are not using auto and switching on manually at 180, are you concerned that the heater jacket is not on at all until you flip the manual switch at 180 (with auto mode, the heater jacket comes on at start-up, but not so when using manual)? - Patrick

Comment

Thanks for that info. Another question: If you are not using auto and switching on manually at 180, are you concerned that the heater jacket is not on at all until you flip the manual switch at 180 (with auto mode, the heater jacket comes on at start-up, but not so when using manual)? - Patrick
                        not really concerned, no. Its only cold enough here in oklahoma to need the heater jacket about 2 weeks of the year...lol. Seriously, i could run all winter without any 12v heater jacket now that i have the coolant pump... i literally have that much more heat in my entire system that i could loose that one heat source and not ever know it.
                        I shut off manually when i get 1.4 mile from the house and purge manually, that way i don't have to stink up my shop when i pull inside. I don't like to let it set idle that long inside. So the next morning its "off" and i flip in back on when my coolant reaches temp. The rest of the day i usually forget about it and it perates in auto but mainly on the cool mornings i'm concerned about it comming on at 140.

Comment

Originally posted by Marv View Post
                          Yeah, I'm going to be watching it closer once I'm back on oil. Been stockpiling for months now, so I haven't used the filter hardly at all lately.

The 3K miles is really the only data point I have for the system and it was my first filter. After that, I fought pressure related issues for a long time and ended up changing filters quite often as a last resort to remedy the problem. My only conclusion was that there was trash in the tank from manufacturing that I finally managed to clean out. However, this was about the same time I stopped using oil (since diesel was down) and started stocking it up.

This current one has at least 1500-2000 on it and what little time I've used it, it hasn't given me any problems.

I'll be back on oil in the very near future since I'm running out of places to put it. I filled up my tote and my filtering setup is full too. Not to mention the 22 or so full, 5 gallon cubes I have waiting to be filtered. Got to have close to 500 gallons now.

Coolant pump is on the list for summer mods. Should be plenty hot here this summer in N. Alabama, but I hope to get one on there before next winter. I know from experience this past winter that my coolant wasn't as hot as it shouldn't have been.
                          Marv,
                          I too have some veg stockpiled. Wondering how long you feel it is OK to store this before using it and if you feel any additives are necessary for long term storage. I'm using 55 gallon plastic drums filled to the top at 55F to 65F temps. Enjoy the trip to the northeast. - Patrick

Comment

Marv,
                            I too have some veg stockpiled. Wondering how long you feel it is OK to store this before using it and if you feel any additives are necessary for long term storage. I'm using 55 gallon plastic drums filled to the top at 55F to 65F temps. Enjoy the trip to the northeast. - Patrick
                            Patrick, once I start burning it again I'll continually be pulling from my storage container and replacing it with fresh used oil I pick up from my sources. Once that's up and running, I doubt the oil will actually be in storage for more than a couple months at a time. I've heard though that under the right conditions (cool, dark storage) vegi oil can last up to a year before it goes bad.

No additives right now. I've read both good and bad on them and admittedly, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not they're beneficial. A number of folks do seem to say they help though.

Re: trip - yeah, I hope it goes smoothly!

Thanks!
                            Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Thanks Marv. - Patrick

Comment

Working...
                              X