Help!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!!!!!

So last week my brother was driving my truck (he knows what he is doing so the screw up was not his fault) up a medium hill with a trailer with maybe 1500 pounds on it and all of a sudden it started a pounding noise that sounded like it was coming out of the air filter.

Took it to the local ford dealer to find out what it was and they told me it was a broken rocker.

Now the not so good part. When they tore the motor down they found a lot of sludge in the motor. Which they claim is from lack of maintenance consequently they are trying to void my warranty on the motor.

A little background on this truck. Since I have owned the truck they have replaced multiple egrs before and after the veg. Installed a new short block in it 11000 miles ago due to low compression on one cylinder among other things. All of which was warrantied. When they tore the motor down 11000 miles ago they found no sludge but now they claim it is full of it.

About the lack of maintenance. It is nothing but bullshit I used to change my oil about every 5000 miles before the veg with rotella. Now I change the oil every 3000 to 3500 miles with rotella since I am running on veg.

So if the sludge is not caused by lack of maintenance then what is it? Is it the veg? Is it the motor? Or is it a combination of both?

Not only am I worried about losing the warranty but even if I do repair the truck at my own cost no one really knows why or how the motor got so much sludge in it in such a short amount of time.

Is there any way to prove that the sludge is not due to lack of maintenance and rather a failure of something in the engine?

I am running a V3 system with a 51 gallon tank. It has been installed since March and the truck has about 20,000 miles on veg

Any help would be great!!

Try to get a sample of the oil and sludge, they can test it at most truck stop lube shops. That will at least tell you what's in the oil. Without knowing what's in the oil, you can't prove anything. My truck is also in the shop for injectors and they will try anything to get out of warranty work. If you get a test on the oil, post it back here and I'll talk to everyone around here and see if we can figure something out.
    '01 F350, lariat LE, cc, lb, drw, TSP 6pos. chip w/ swamps ss tunes, FF stage 1.5, MBRP 4" turbo back, cooling mist water injection.

Comment

do you idle on WVO?

WVO when burned at lower temps WILL create more soot. EDIT: and I won't idle for more than 30seconds on wvo

My intake was FULL of soot.

This issue is bad enough on diesel, but WVO makes the problem that much worse.

Do yourself a favor and look into a EGR delete.

My choice is the egr scoop delete(weld it shut) and SCT tune that turns off like 95% of EGR.
      Last edited by Wilson; 12-01-2008, 07:13 AM. Reason: updated
      2005 6.0l X
      V3 running 8/6/08
      40gal frame mounted tank

Live by the grease, die by the grease

Comment

I make a point of not idling at all especially on veg. After the third or fourth egr the diesel finally told me that idling for the 6.0 is a bad idea.

Are you talking about the egr delete where you actually cut the cooler and reweld it. I think I saw a write up of how to do it somewhere but I cant remember where.

Should I do the egr delete and get a tuner or one or the other. My only problem with a tuner is I have employees that periodically will drive my truck and I dont want the truck to turn into a hot rod.

I know that you can set some up close to stock but if they are all like the ones my brother has in his truck. Which is just push a button and you can add like 100hp or something like that I would rather stay away from them.

Is there a tuner that I can set to what I want it and make it so I am the only that can change it.

Comment

Originally posted by aelmore View Post
          I make a point of not idling at all especially on veg. After the third or fourth egr the diesel finally told me that idling for the 6.0 is a bad idea.

Are you talking about the egr delete where you actually cut the cooler and reweld it. I think I saw a write up of how to do it somewhere but I cant remember where.

Should I do the egr delete and get a tuner or one or the other. My only problem with a tuner is I have employees that periodically will drive my truck and I dont want the truck to turn into a hot rod.

I know that you can set some up close to stock but if they are all like the ones my brother has in his truck. Which is just push a button and you can add like 100hp or something like that I would rather stay away from them.

Is there a tuner that I can set to what I want it and make it so I am the only that can change it.
          Just get a tunner to disable the EGR. An SCT tunner can be custom tuned to do this. I have 105k miles and no EGR issues.

Comment

so i just looked on the sct website. Which tuner do i want it looks like there are quite a few. Is a flash different than a tuner? Or is the flash just a program you put into the tuner?

Comment

I sent you a PM.

Comment

try jon lund. www.lundracing.com

tell him I sent you, And to call me back LOL
                2005 6.0l X
                V3 running 8/6/08
                40gal frame mounted tank

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson View Post
                  try jon lund. www.lundracing.com

tell him I sent you, And to call me back LOL
                  Looks like they carry the Xcaliber 2 only...i like the Xcaliber 3... and theres also the SCT livewire that is highly talked about.

Comment

Is a flash different than a tuner?
                    Some refer to it as a tunner, some call it a flash device...same thing.

Comment

so now that we figured that i need to delete the egr one way or the other. Is this what is causing the sludge?

Comment

so now that we figured that i need to delete the egr one way or the other. Is this what is causing the sludge?
                        i have no clue....don't sound likely though.

Comment

Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                          Looks like they carry the Xcaliber 2 only...i like the Xcaliber 3... and theres also the SCT livewire that is highly talked about.
                          No he's up to date with everything... His website just doesn't get updated.
                          2005 6.0l X
                          V3 running 8/6/08
                          40gal frame mounted tank

Comment

aelmore - what year is your truck? On the 03/04 years you can just use a freeze plug to block it off and then shut it off with the SCT. The 05s and newer require a different block off plate because of the scoop. I think there are kits available to completely delete it as well which they say is the only sure way. I have an 04 and they blocked mine off when the dealer installed my studs.

Comment

Working...
                            X