Egr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
    I was honestly really upset I waited so long. And I only waited about a month.
    Yeah, Jack, go ahead and add fuel to the fire...LOL.

It's in the plans, just gotta find the spare cash. Guess I'll do that and gauges at the same time and be done with it.
    Greasin & Grinin
    Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
    2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
    2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
    2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Marv View Post
      You guys sure are good at trying to spend my money!! LOL....

Well, Christmas is coming up...so, maybe I can convince the wife that we definitely need one of these...haha.
      Knock about 1000 feet off that new shack your going to build and you will have lots of extra money to mod your truck!

Comment

Originally posted by CHenry View Post
        Knock about 1000 feet off that new shack your going to build and you will have lots of extra money to mod your truck!
        LOL....yeah, I guess I could do that. At least till the bank wants to know where I spent their cash...:chuckles:
        Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Originally posted by Marv View Post
          LOL....yeah, I guess I could do that. At least till the bank wants to know where I spent their cash...:chuckles:
          No i mean your house will cost you less - monthly payments and you will save on energy cost as well.

Comment

No i mean your house will cost you less - monthly payments and you will save on energy cost as well.
            Ah, I got ya...LOL.

I might actually decide to scale down the plans a bit. I plan on doing a full basement, so a large first floor won't be absolutely necessary.
            Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Man i wish i could do a basement...in OK it just isn't too popular because of the soil type...alot of clay and shrink swell amount of the soil is great...i have never seen a basement in OK that didn't have water in it.

Comment

Man i wish i could do a basement...in OK it just isn't too popular because of the soil type...alot of clay and shrink swell amount of the soil is great...i have never seen a basement in OK that didn't have water in it.

So it's that big of a problem out there? Hmm...never knew that.

Just look at it this way. You get a basement and a swimming pool all in one!! LOL...
                Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Got a couple questions for you guys.

1) I never really saw the answer if VO gunks up an egr over time. For me eventually it won't matter because it looks like the right thing to do is turn it off then delete it, but until then, what's the word?

2) My truck runs perfectly but I'm wondering about the purge time...when running #2 a while and shutting down on it, the next morning the truck starts quickly with a snorting roar and wakes up the neighborhood (i love it) regardless of season. When i run VO and let it purge in automatic mode it is very muted and slower to fire but it does run normally...i'm sure the purge time is adequate but is this a sign that something is not up to par somewhere in the system? I just don't want to coke or damage anything. There is never a problem when i shut it off manually but i like the auomatic mode.

3) What is a good code reader/clearer that works for the 6.0? I've never looked at the SCT Xcal3 tuner lauded in another thread but does it do this?

4) I had to replace the VO filter and had to use a big pair of pliers to crunch it a little to get it off...it was too tight a fitting next to the truck body to use anything else to loop around the filter...is the the official way to do this?

Now just some notes:
                  1) The truck seems to have a little less power at low rpm on VO, but my truck is a manual and when i drive like a grandpa i notice it. towing or driving at highway speeds or getting on it i never notice any difference. i usually add at least a couple gallons of #2 to 90 gallons of VO and that seams to help but i'm not religious about it because diesel costs compared to my VO.
                  2) I was hooking up a trailer once and let the truck idle on vo. It started smoking really bad...cleared out as soon as i got rolling..i guess i shouldn't idle on VO too much...
                  3) When it was new i could hear the V3 rattle when it hits the frame...i'm sure this is due to low rpm vibration i sometimes get when i start out in first or second gear and lug the motor by not reving it up enough. over the last 10K miles i haven't noticed it though. i've checked the system repeatedly and it looks fine and only looks like it was flexing on the vibration isolation mounts.

Thanks for any input, the customer service and quality i've experienced with these guys has been fantastic.

mcr

2005 6.0 CC dually, manual trans, v3, 90 gallon toolbox/tank, 20K VO miles

Comment

Originally posted by MCRVO6.0 View Post
                    Got a couple questions for you guys.

1) I never really saw the answer if VO gunks up an egr over time. For me eventually it won't matter because it looks like the right thing to do is turn it off then delete it, but until then, what's the word?

2) My truck runs perfectly but I'm wondering about the purge time...when running #2 a while and shutting down on it, the next morning the truck starts quickly with a snorting roar and wakes up the neighborhood (i love it) regardless of season. When i run VO and let it purge in automatic mode it is very muted and slower to fire but it does run normally...i'm sure the purge time is adequate but is this a sign that something is not up to par somewhere in the system? I just don't want to coke or damage anything. There is never a problem when i shut it off manually but i like the auomatic mode.

3) What is a good code reader/clearer that works for the 6.0? I've never looked at the SCT Xcal3 tuner lauded in another thread but does it do this?

4) I had to replace the VO filter and had to use a big pair of pliers to crunch it a little to get it off...it was too tight a fitting next to the truck body to use anything else to loop around the filter...is the the official way to do this?

Now just some notes:
                    1) The truck seems to have a little less power at low rpm on VO, but my truck is a manual and when i drive like a grandpa i notice it. towing or driving at highway speeds or getting on it i never notice any difference. i usually add at least a couple gallons of #2 to 90 gallons of VO and that seams to help but i'm not religious about it because diesel costs compared to my VO.
                    2) I was hooking up a trailer once and let the truck idle on vo. It started smoking really bad...cleared out as soon as i got rolling..i guess i shouldn't idle on VO too much...
                    3) When it was new i could hear the V3 rattle when it hits the frame...i'm sure this is due to low rpm vibration i sometimes get when i start out in first or second gear and lug the motor by not reving it up enough. over the last 10K miles i haven't noticed it though. i've checked the system repeatedly and it looks fine and only looks like it was flexing on the vibration isolation mounts.

Thanks for any input, the customer service and quality i've experienced with these guys has been fantastic.

mcr

2005 6.0 CC dually, manual trans, v3, 90 gallon toolbox/tank, 20K VO miles
                    I'll see if I can answer a few of these...

1) From what I've gathered, WVO will not have any more severe effects on the EGR than regular #2. Actually, most of the EGR horror stories I've heard, involved folks who only ran diesel. However, I suppose only time will tell if WVO makes you more prone to EGR failures. Personally, I haven't worried about it too much.

2) I've experienced the same symptoms with mine. You might want to adjust the purge timer and the run timer on the cards under the dash. Easy to do either one. You can actually do a search for the topic on there and find the answer pretty quickly. Also, step on the go pedal a few good times while the truck is shutting down. This will help in speeding up the burning of VO in the fuel rails.

3) Not familiar with the SCT...Clay (CHenry) on here could probably answer that one for you.

4) Mine is a close fit as well. Have you adjusted the mounting of the module at all? The mounting plate has slots in it for adjusting...might want to take a look at that if you haven't already.

Notes:

1) I'll second that notion...mine seems down on power when running WVO. Nothing major, but it is noticeable. Some folks claim no loss in either performance or mileage.

2) It will smoke at idle...just a trait of running on WVO. Enjoy the cloud when you step on it at redlights. Catching an unsuspecting fellow motorist off guard is fun too!

Hope this helps...and welcome!
                    Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Are you referencing the purge time or the run time during/after the purge? It seems like your truck isn't burning all of the oil out of the injectors and the heads before it shuts off on #2. I get that impression because you're noticing it on initial start-up, which is unaffected by whatever is in your lines, and completely dependent on what is in the injectors and the heads. Definitely give her a rev before you get out of the truck, and maybe adjust the run-time card, not the purge card.
                      Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

yes the SCT will read codes.
                        The WVO seems to change the injection timing causing the low rpm power loss. Again an SCT will take care of that for you...you;ll have more power than the local law will like.

Comment

yes the SCT will read codes.
                          The WVO seems to change the injection timing causing the low rpm power loss. Again an SCT will take care of that for you...

Here again, yet another reason I need one...
                          Greasin & Grinin

Comment

I think i'm using the wrong lingo, but i was referring to the time the engine runs after i turn off the key (VO in automatic mode)...either way, you guys have given me something to go research. I'm glad to know its not too unique.

Thanks a bunch, changing the settings seems easy, but telling my wife i need to spend money on tuner...wish me luck

mcr

Comment

Thanks a bunch, changing the settings seems easy, but telling my wife i need to spend money on tuner...wish me luck

mcr

Haha...yeah, same here! Actually my wife probably wouldn't care....I'm the one that hates to spend the money!
                              Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Marv - Just like Jack said - the only thing I regret about tuning my rig is that I didn't do it sooner. And I only waited a few months. You won't have any regrets spending the cash on the SCT once you have those custom tunes running. Unleash the BEAST

Comment

Working...
                                X