No announcement yet.

Egr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if the EGR system changed over the years and improved or are they all bad news?
    2006 F-250 Vegistroke

Comment

Originally posted by CHenry View Post
      sorry for the hijack
      The consensus of all 6.0 owners (most of them running #2 diesel) is that the EGR needs to be gone...period. I had issues with mine before i started using vegi. Replaced it for like 350 bucks. no more problems with it over next 2 years but then i got my SCT tunner last Dec. and i shut it down so it can't stick open.
      No worries man...I think I derailed it as much as anyone.

Figured the EGR was a problem either way...just curious more than anything.

Thanks for the info!
      Greasin & Grinin
      Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
      2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
      2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
      2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEMOVER View Post
        Keep in mind that tuning just shuts the EGR down. Blocking it off is another step you can take to avoid problems.
        On that note, anyone know where you can find an EGR block off setup?

Are there any companies that sell them or are they all usually home made?
        Greasin & Grinin

Comment

get on powerstroke.org and do a search...i think there is lots of peeps on there who have done this.

Comment

get on powerstroke.org and do a search...i think there is lots of peeps on there who have done this.
            Alright, will do. Admittedly, I'll have to search for that thing before I even know where it's at to block it off...haha.

I've probably looked at it a 100 times, just never realized where it's at or what I'm looking at.
            Greasin & Grinin

Comment

you'll be pulling the cab to get to it....

Comment

you'll be pulling the cab to get to it....
                Scratch that...it'll get done when the head gaskets pop then...LOL.

No way I'd do that for "fun"...
                Greasin & Grinin

Comment

I got my block-off plug/kit from Discount Power Parts. I think they used to sell them for $10. Now they throw one in when you buy studs from them. If I remember correctly it is just a freeze plug for up to the 2004s. After 2004 you need a special block off plate because of a scoop or something. You can also buy a full delete kit where you physically remove the EGR from the truck. Like Clay said all kinds off info. over at Powerstroke.org.

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEMOVER View Post
                    I got my block-off plug/kit from Discount Power Parts. I think they used to sell them for $10. Now they throw one in when you buy studs from them. If I remember correctly it is just a freeze plug for up to the 2004s. After 2004 you need a special block off plate because of a scoop or something. You can also buy a full delete kit where you physically remove the EGR from the truck. Like Clay said all kinds off info. over at Powerstroke.org.
                    Thanks for the info man...I'll do some researching over there.
                    Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Originally posted by Marv View Post
                      Scratch that...it'll get done when the head gaskets pop then...LOL.

No way I'd do that for "fun"...
                      You have an 05 - i wouldn't worry aboutt he head gaskets/headbolts. After 03 Ford used a stronger bolt that would not allow the heads to lift as easily so unless your getting crazy with power and pushing 34 lbs or more of boost i think your heads will be fine.

Comment

You have an 05 - i wouldn't worry aboutt he head gaskets/headbolts. After 03 Ford used a stronger bolt that would not allow the heads to lift as easily so unless your getting crazy with power and pushing 34 lbs or more of boost i think your heads will be fine.
                        Good info...didn't know that.

Bone stock here...as far as I know anyways. Unless the previous owner put a tune in it, it's the same as the day it rolled off the line.

Even if I get a tuner, I won't be shooting for anything near 34 lbs of boost. No need to tear it up trying to go fast...haha.
                        Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Even if I get a tuner, I won't be shooting for anything near 34 lbs of boost. No need to tear it up trying to go fast...haha.
                          You should get a tuner...wake up the potential of the 6.0...i absolutely hate the stock tune after seeing what the custome tune feels like.
                          Speed isnt the only place you will build boost, towing large or even medium loads will caused high boost but a costom tuner can make you a tune that will not overboost.

Comment

I don't think I could drive my truck un-tuned now. I had to return to stock when my studs were put in and I couldn't believe what a dog it was. Completely different vehicle with the SCT and custom tunes. Take Clay's advice and get an SCT with custom tuning - you won't be disappointed

Comment

You guys sure are good at trying to spend my money!! LOL....

Well, Christmas is coming up...so, maybe I can convince the wife that we definitely need one of these...haha.
                              Greasin & Grinin

Comment

You guys sure are good at trying to spend my money!! LOL....

Well, Christmas is coming up...so, maybe I can convince the wife that we definitely need one of these...haha.
                                I was honestly really upset I waited so long. And I only waited about a month.
                                Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

Working...
                                X