Need some dianostic help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some dianostic help.

My purge solenoid only returns fuel to my diesel tank even though my display shows that its returning to my VO tank. Here is a video I took with the solenoid off and applying 12v power to it. Is it functioning properly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvJ6InaB-AA

It sure seems like it is moving freely and with purpose. I'd be interested in your manifold swap idea to rule out an internal passage plug. Does the valve move the same when connected to the harness using manual mode?
    2006 F-350 King Ranch Crew Cab Long Box 4x4
    2001 Excursion Limited 4x4
    2000 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Box 4x4 ZF6, V4 March 2013

Comment

Just tried the valve connected to the harness in manual mode and it moves the same.

Comment

Here is a video of checking the fuel pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYifKXx7YRs

Comment

We set the fuel pressure at 15 PSI before shipping. Maybe you should turn down your FPR. Here is some helpful info from the manual.

General System Operation Principles - The VegiRam System is entirely unique in operation from most conventional systems of this kind, however is very closely related to its Older Brother, the Vegistroke. All the major components are located within the single billet aluminum manifold which is in turn heated by engine coolant. This eliminates the need for multiple heat exchangers to maintain fuel temperature between the Pump, Filter, switching solenoid, etc. The Manifold controls both the supply(by pressure) and return with a conventional 3 port solenoid.

If the system is armed, or in the automatic position the system will wait until the manifold has reached at least 140ºf indicating a safe engine temp of about 160. Once this temperature is reached, the VegiRam pump will be turned on pulling fuel from the Aux tank. At this time the return solenoid will switch the return line to feed the Auxiliary tank.

Once the correct fuel pressure is reached by the manifold, the system will then shut off the OEM diesel pump and the Engine will continue to run on the Auxiliary fuel which will start to displace the diesel in the fuel system. Should the V4 fuel pressure ever drop below the minimum setting the OEM diesel pump will be re-enabled automatically. This is a failsafe feature to prevent any vehicle damage or breakdowns in the event that the system fails to operate correctly.

Note that there are additional feature settings that can be configured for the VegiRam in the SSB so that if correct pressure is not correct pressure is not reached within 30 seconds, or the system ever loses pressure for more than 30 seconds, the return solenoid will automatically switch back to the diesel tank to prevent transferring the contents of the diesel tank into the Auxiliary tank. (See “filter safety shutdown” for the SSB).

Comment

I did turn the fuel pressure down to 20psi the other day. I removed the fuse from the diesel lift pump and then when the system gets up to temp and shows Auto-on I get a low pressure on the display. When I check the fuel pressure it shows 20psi with the system on but when I turn the system off there is 0psi. With the fuse in the system while on Auto-on the display shows all things are working as they should, but I am burning diesel and returning diesel to the diesel tank. With the diesel lift pump fuse in and the system turned off the gauge shows 18psi.

Comment

Sounds like a bad pressure switch. Have you tried running the system in manual and lift pump fuse out?

Maybe you can check the switch on the manifold and confirm where the switch is seeing pressure.

You can check continuity between pins A/B and B/C as you push on the diaphragm in the pressure switch.

The range on your pressure switch is 7-30 psi. Maybe the switch was damaged from your systems high pressure setting.
              Last edited by Bitterroot Diesel; 12-16-2020, 09:25 PM.

Comment

With the lift pump fuse out and the system on Auto on or manual it is still just using diesel.

Comment

Did you find any of the information in my last post helpful?

Comment

I got up and running again. I don't know what the problem ended up being which was frustrating. I took the manifold off bench tested everything again everything seemed to work as it should. I couldn't tell anything was wrong so installed a new filter again, reinstalled the manifold and everything worked. I am glad its all working, but I wish I knew what the problem was. I bench tested it with the old filter and again after I changed the filter and there was no real noticeable increase in flow.

Comment

Keep us updated if anything changes.

Comment

Working...
                      X