Just Finished 04 VegiRam Test Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Finished 04 VegiRam Test Drive

Just got back from a 200 mile test drive of our prototype 03-04 Common rail Cummins system. This thing has been driving me mad for the last couple weeks now with poor OEM wiring diagrams, and what appeared to be very eratic operation from the new CRV1 manifold developed specifically for the Dodge.

I now know why and how air problems can and do cause so many people so much trouble. Even with our full return(non looped), self purging pressure based system I still had a hell of a time isolating the troubles. Keep in mind though that the pressure and air seperation features did their job. During the entire process the engine has never skipped a beat. Not even a cough.

So on my test drive up to the top of Mt Hood and back I realized that I was expecting the behavior of the CRV1 to be more or less the same as the V3. Man was I wrong!!. While on flat ground, not a problem. The system worked great. But once I hit the corners, due to fuel sloshing air was introduced into the system at a much quicker rate than the Ford based systems and would cause the system to lose pressure and fail safe back to diesel. What was really throwing me is that on a mild corner the system would keep working just fine, for about 500 yards past the corner, then not work for the next 1/2 mile or so if the road was straight. If there were more corners, it was eratic at best. I don't even want to attempt to explain it here as to why that happens, but I do know why and what to do to fix it. This will likely transcend over to the Ford side as well.

So long story short, after some head scratching, the Dodge system is all but done. And simply because of the Engine and wiring layout, The conversion process could be alost HALF that of the Fords. Yes, that means potentially an install in as little as 4-5 hours!! But even that said, I will still take my Ford Truck Thank you.

After finally getting this on the run, I can't even imagine the pain some people go through trying to convert most vehicles where any air caues engine issues. Then you throw in a looped system that keeps the air in the system, and then pulling through filters, the major affect of fuel sloshing, and trying to troubleshoot where the problem is and how to fix it. When the only probem may be air introduced at the tank. That would be why The Frybrid system works so well. His very cool custom tank fuel module all but eliminates any air introduction due to fuel sloshing. SO at any rate, I am even more leary than I ever have been of cheap systems and expecting reliable engine operation.
    1999 F-350 Lariat 7.3 385,000 miles and counting
    2000 VW Jetta 2.0
    1966 Jeep J-300 with EFI 351W

You're right... it is all but done.

How much quieter did that big Cummins get on the oil?

Originally posted by Fordnut74 View Post
    And simply because of the Engine and wiring layout, The conversion process could be alost HALF that of the Fords. Yes, that means potentially an install in as little as 4-5 hours!! But even that said, I will still take my Ford Truck Thank you.
    Come on now, you can install a FORD kit in less than 5 hours. Well, maybe not you, but Dan, Mike and I did
    Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
      You're right... it is all but done.

How much quieter did that big Cummins get on the oil?

Come on now, you can install a FORD kit in less than 5 hours. Well, maybe not you, but Dan, Mike and I did
      Actually the 04's are pretty quite to begin with, so there wasn't a noticeable change in noise to my deaf ears.

That 5 hour time would be for someone doing this for the first time and by themselves. Multiple experianced people doing an install would be scary:chuckles:
      1999 F-350 Lariat 7.3 385,000 miles and counting
      2000 VW Jetta 2.0
      1966 Jeep J-300 with EFI 351W

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnut74 View Post
        That 5 hour time would be for someone doing this for the first time and by themselves. Multiple experianced people doing an install would be scary:chuckles:
        That is a huge selling point right there.
        Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

Working...
        X