Diesel Generator on Vegi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Generator on Vegi?

I have found a Single Cylinder, 4-stroke, Air-Cooled Direct Injection Diesel generator; could this be converted to run on vegi oil? I would like to use this on the deer lease but not sure if it can be converted. The brand is Kipor. Thanks in advance.
    2000 F250 7.3L
    Vegistroke installed July 12, 2008

Yes it can be converted. You will still need to heat the oil, so you would need an electric heated tank.
    '01 F350, lariat LE, cc, lb, drw, TSP 6pos. chip w/ swamps ss tunes, FF stage 1.5, MBRP 4" turbo back, cooling mist water injection.

Comment

yes it can,and quite viable.A lister motor will run WVO without mods(Non hydrogenated),and I have seen turn key WVO Generators on Ebay for $2195............
      2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

Comment

I run my 2 cyl. diesel tractor on straight vegi oil with no conversion. Its easy enough to pull the head if i need to clean things up in there someday. As stated here, get some 12v line heaters or tank heater or both. Put a second tank on it with a switch valve to go between diesel and veg manually and start it on diesel, run it maybe 5 minutes till lines are hot and switch it. Purge might be a guess but you can always sniff the exhaust and see if its still burning vegi. A secondary tank for diesel could be something as small as a tank off an old lawn mower or a plastic weed eater tank.
        Last edited by Clay; 04-21-2009, 07:59 AM.

Comment

What year/model of tractor do you have, Clay? I'm interested in converting a tractor as well, but am not sure on which models are good candidates...

thanks,
          -gary
          Gary
          2003 7.3L Excursion - 213k
          1985 Mercedes 300D - 279k

Comment

Mine is a 86 model japanese version of a ford called a Shibara (i think thats right)
            Its an IDI which handles the cold VO much better than a DI diesel. The way the tank is situated, it actually gets pretty hot from the motor heat after about 10 minutes of brushhogging. The injector lines also get pretty hot after a bit so it is a heated system after a few minutes. It won't start on vegi if the temp is under 50* though.

Comment

Clay, post up some pics of your converted tractor...sounds like a cool setup.
              Greasin & Grinin
              Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
              2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
              2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
              2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Marv View Post
                Clay, post up some pics of your converted tractor...sounds like a cool setup.
                Theres no conversion to see Marv, its just running vegi oil in the stock fuel system.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay Henry View Post
                  Theres no conversion to see Marv, its just running vegi oil in the stock fuel system.

My bad...misunderstood your post. Thought there might be a seperate tank or something.
                  Greasin & Grinin
                  Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                  2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                  2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                  2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

I'll be keeping some eyes on this thread as I had a similar idea. Since you can't get listeroids in the US anymore I was thinking of using one of those 14 HP 2 cylinder jobs you see on Surplus Center once in a while. Perkins actually makes them, but sometimes they re-badge them as Caterpillars. A 14 HP diesel should have no problem turning a 12 KW generator head. I would want a totally automatic setup, so I'm wondering if the "generic" Vegistroke system would be a good candidate for use with the little Perkins engines. Basically I'd see the setup looking like this:

I'd build a generator house partially in the ground (for noise reasons) close by but separate from the house. In the house would be the genset itself along with a 100 gallon fuel oil tank for start up/shut down. I'd store clean veggie fuel in two 330 gallon totes. As long as the Vegistroke system could be adapted, theoretically once the power goes out a magnetic switch at the panel could signal the generator to start (on fuel oil). Once the generator has started and warmed up the Vegistroke system would take over and switch the fuel from fuel oil to veggie. Then once grid power came back the magnetic switch would send the signal to turn the generator off. The only thing I'm unsure of is where the power would feed to as the engine continued to run during the purge cycle since it could no longer feed the panel. Minor details...
                    Currently dieselless!

Comment

woodnstuff up in ontario has 18 6/1s and 8 12/2 coming in will be in warehouse by 3-30-10...........these are jkson good quality..................real good price...........pm with any Q's.........greasy
                      2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

Comment

Working...
                      X