Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone running a 4" lift?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone running a 4" lift?

    Thought I'd drop a thread in here to see if anyone is running a "small" lift. Say 4" or so...

    I'd like to get my truck up in the air a bit, but don't want to go too high. I need to ensure I can still use the truck for a number of things...particularly pulling goosenecks and what not.

    So, any of you folks running a smaller lift? If so, what brand, where'd you get it and how hard was the install? Finally, has it affected your ability to pull large trailers/loads?

    Thanks!!
    Greasin & Grinin
    Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
    2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
    2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
    2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

  • #2
    Crap...just noticed I should have put this in the suspension section...doh!

    Clay, feel free to move it if need be.

    Thanks!
    Greasin & Grinin
    Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
    2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
    2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
    2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

    Comment


    • #3
      While he is moving it, he can move my response too.

      As far as the gooseneck goes there are a couple options, but there are also a number of variables.

      A 4" lift will allow you to run a larger tire, but obviously the diameter of the tire will determine the total height the bed of your truck has been lifted.

      In general, lifting a truck means a more aggressive tire, so you may want to keep an eye on load ratings. If the tire you like doesn't have the correct rating for the application you could always put your stock tires on when you're doing a long haul. Kind of a PITA with 32 lug nuts (off, on, off, and on again with torqing 2x) and heavy wheels and tires.

      Your 5th wheel hitch in your truck may or may not be adjustable. Some of them will adjust for trailer height... or in the same breath, truck height.

      For your trailer, you could always swap the leafs and have an SOA setup. I know a couple guys who did this. If you wanted to spend the money you could then do a matching wheel tire combo on the trailer. This gets expensive, but looks amazing.
      Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
        While he is moving it, he can move my response too.

        As far as the gooseneck goes there are a couple options, but there are also a number of variables.

        A 4" lift will allow you to run a larger tire, but obviously the diameter of the tire will determine the total height the bed of your truck has been lifted.

        In general, lifting a truck means a more aggressive tire, so you may want to keep an eye on load ratings. If the tire you like doesn't have the correct rating for the application you could always put your stock tires on when you're doing a long haul. Kind of a PITA with 32 lug nuts (off, on, off, and on again with torqing 2x) and heavy wheels and tires.

        Your 5th wheel hitch in your truck may or may not be adjustable. Some of them will adjust for trailer height... or in the same breath, truck height.

        For your trailer, you could always swap the leafs and have an SOA setup. I know a couple guys who did this. If you wanted to spend the money you could then do a matching wheel tire combo on the trailer. This gets expensive, but looks amazing.
        Good info Jack, I appreciate it.

        I'm pretty sure most all goosenecks are adjustable, but I have no clue on fifth wheels. Never pulled one of those.

        RE: tires - so far, I've found a good set of tires that have the load range E rating that I need. The Pro-Comp Xtreme ATs have stood up pretty well so far.
        Greasin & Grinin
        Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
        2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
        2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
        2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Marv View Post
          Crap...just noticed I should have put this in the suspension section...doh!

          Clay, feel free to move it if need be.

          Thanks!
          the suspension section is under classifieds/swapmeet....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Marv View Post
            I'm pretty sure most all goosenecks are adjustable, but I have no clue on fifth wheels. Never pulled one of those.
            Sorry... I was using both terms but essentially referencing a gooseneck and not a 5th wheel. I think those only adjust front to back not up and down... but I may be wrong.
            Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

            Comment


            • #7
              two words AIR BAGS good enough for the big boys,affordable for toys.This way you could lower towing,and jack it to the stars for saturday night cruises.............greasy
              2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by greasyX View Post
                two words AIR BAGS good enough for the big boys,affordable for toys.This way you could lower towing,and jack it to the stars for saturday night cruises.............greasy
                Yeah, I had thought of that Greasy, but it may be even farther out of my price range. I guess I need to research that a bit to see what I can come up with.
                Greasin & Grinin
                Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                Comment

                Working...
                X