Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12V Northern Tool pump

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 12V Northern Tool pump

    Has anyone tried this pump out yet?
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5612_200365612
    I'm planning on using it just to transfer clean oil to the truck, not collect waste oil. I just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on it, especially since it's on sale for only $130 right now.
    -Drew
    V3'd 2000 Excursion - gone but not forgotten
    2014 6.7L - smells nice

  • #2
    The 1 review for the product is from a guy using it on Veggie... so I think you'll be fine.
    Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

    Comment


    • #3
      I tried the pump and it worked fine as long as it was over 75F outside. I got a different pump from Tractor Supply and use the Northern Tool one for my Bio.
      '01 F350, lariat LE, cc, lb, drw, TSP 6pos. chip w/ swamps ss tunes, FF stage 1.5, MBRP 4" turbo back, cooling mist water injection.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've been kicking around the idea of getting this one for collection.

        http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1096_200351096

        Any of you guys used it?

        Thanks!
        Greasin & Grinin
        Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
        2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
        2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
        2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

        Comment


        • #5
          The first one (vane pump) won't likely move anything but warm VO - I have a more powerful one than that and resorted to only using it for B100.

          The 2nd is a gear pump and will work OK, just don't expect a lot of volume from it. This pump is used by alot of veggie folks.

          For similar money you can get a 1hp gas-powered water pump that will move 3x the oil. I have a Honda pump, but know a couple of people with cheap 2 stroke versions that seem to work as well (except for being PITA 2 strokes). I read where someone got one for like $139 recently...
          2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
          2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
          veggiegarage.com authorized installer

          RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

          Comment


          • #6
            The main thing I'm going to use it for is when I need to fill the tank when I'm pulling to the races during the summer, so I'd imagine the oil should be plenty warm, especially being microwaved inside the enclosed trailer

            I used the leaky harbor freight barrel pump this past weekend and that got old FAST!
            -Drew
            V3'd 2000 Excursion - gone but not forgotten
            2014 6.7L - smells nice

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by skyskijason View Post
              The first one (vane pump) won't likely move anything but warm VO - I have a more powerful one than that and resorted to only using it for B100.

              The 2nd is a gear pump and will work OK, just don't expect a lot of volume from it. This pump is used by alot of veggie folks.

              For similar money you can get a 1hp gas-powered water pump that will move 3x the oil. I have a Honda pump, but know a couple of people with cheap 2 stroke versions that seem to work as well (except for being PITA 2 strokes). I read where someone got one for like $139 recently...
              Thanks for the info Jason, I appreciate it. I was mainly thinking of something I could wire up to a 7-pin trailer plug, plug it up to the truck, run my hoses to a collection tank in the truck and my collection barrel at the restaurant, turn it on and let it run. It would save me some time filling cubes for sure.

              Not sure it'd work that easy though...lol.
              Greasin & Grinin
              Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
              2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
              2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
              2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

              Comment


              • #8
                I ordered the pump that DFA sells - there's two nozzle sizes - Jason said the larger one should be good for what you need it for, Marv. I bought the smaller nozzle ones for a similar setup, but to move clean oil from storage into my tank.

                When I receive it and get it in operation, I'll let you know how she works.
                '02 7.3L Excursion Limited; ~242Kmi total; ~157Kmi on WVO
                Vegistroke V3 (4/09); HIH, Aux Pump, FPHE (11/10); PHP Gryphon custom; 6637;
                WW; Turbomaster; EBPV delete; 4" exhaust; Terminator HPOP; Tru-cool; Evans NPG+;
                ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator; F650 dash; etc.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by muns53 View Post
                  I ordered the pump that DFA sells - there's two nozzle sizes - Jason said the larger one should be good for what you need it for, Marv. I bought the smaller nozzle ones for a similar setup, but to move clean oil from storage into my tank.

                  When I receive it and get it in operation, I'll let you know how she works.
                  Awesome Eric, thanks!

                  I just looked at the DFA website and have a quick question - can you order the unit with a pig-tail for the 7-pin plug already on there?

                  Maybe I just mis-understood what they were referring to.

                  Thanks!
                  Greasin & Grinin
                  Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                  2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                  2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                  2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have the pump that Mav posted up. It works ok here in the Texas summers but you would not want to use it to pump more that about 30-40 gallons at a time. The pump gets hot and will stop working.
                    2000 F250 7.3L
                    Vegistroke installed July 12, 2008

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by triplemoutdoors View Post
                      I have the pump that Mav posted up. It works ok here in the Texas summers but you would not want to use it to pump more that about 30-40 gallons at a time. The pump gets hot and will stop working.
                      Good info Triple, I appreciate it. Sounds like the DFA pump might be the better choice.

                      Thanks!
                      Greasin & Grinin
                      Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                      2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                      2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                      2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by fiveohpatrol View Post
                        The main thing I'm going to use it for is when I need to fill the tank when I'm pulling to the races during the summer, so I'd imagine the oil should be plenty warm, especially being microwaved inside the enclosed trailer

                        I used the leaky harbor freight barrel pump this past weekend and that got old FAST!
                        The DFA 12v pump will work. Just buy a 7 pin connector and wire it yourself, easy as pie. I can confirm this pump will run for hours moving 15* VO the consistency of brownie dough - and still not pop a 10a fuse!! Its prolly close to FillRite 12v pump for volume, but WILL NOT push through a filter.

                        For that application I would buy a $20ish hand pump. It goes really fast and even my girlie arms can pump 50 gals of warm oil in just a few minutes... Put as long a hose on the discharge side as ya need. I got the last one from www.jmesales.com and its my favorite so far (I have 3 or 4 different ones).
                        2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                        2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                        veggiegarage.com authorized installer

                        RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          for pumping clean oil into the tank, you can't beat this pump. Even cold oil will flow - slow but i aint in a hurry when i fill up really. I can pump about 50 gal. in 15-20 minutes when its cold and twice that fast when its warm.
                          Its not self priming but mount it down low and once its primed, it stays primed.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by skyskijason View Post
                            The DFA 12v pump will work. Just buy a 7 pin connector and wire it yourself, easy as pie. I can confirm this pump will run for hours moving 15* VO the consistency of brownie dough - and still not pop a 10a fuse!! Its prolly close to FillRite 12v pump for volume, but WILL NOT push through a filter.
                            That's what I was thinking of doing. I just need something I can pull out of the truck, plug into the trailer hook up and run my hose inside the back door (my collection barrel is kept inside) of the restaurant and hook it up to my barrel. Then open the valve on the barrel and turn on the pump and start filling up whatever I use as a collection tank.

                            Using the cubies like I do now isn't that bad, but sure would be nice to just hook it up, turn it on and let it run for a few minutes while I kick back and take a break.
                            Greasin & Grinin
                            Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                            2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                            2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                            2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Marv View Post
                              That's what I was thinking of doing. I just need something I can pull out of the truck, plug into the trailer hook up and run my hose inside the back door (my collection barrel is kept inside) of the restaurant and hook it up to my barrel. Then open the valve on the barrel and turn on the pump and start filling up whatever I use as a collection tank.

                              Using the cubies like I do now isn't that bad, but sure would be nice to just hook it up, turn it on and let it run for a few minutes while I kick back and take a break.
                              The DFA pump would be happy with a long suction hose and the pump sitting on barrel, tote, etc., but you can also probably run 50ft with 12ga wire without trouble. No matter what, I would put a valve on the suction line. No need to suck the line full each time ya use it. It also would likely run for a looong time on a lawnmower battery... It is hands-down the lowest power consumer in the competition!!!
                              2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                              2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                              veggiegarage.com authorized installer

                              RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X