Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

soy bean oil vs. canola oil

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • soy bean oil vs. canola oil

    I now have over 25,000 miles on vegi oil!:cheers: Most of the miles have been on canola oil but the last 330 gal batch of oil i used was soy bean. Soy bean oil seems to be thinner and easier to pump when it is cold and I can not tell the difference between the two when I run it in the truck. The smell of soy bean oil is not as good as canola...actually is does not have much of a smell at all when burned in the truck.

    What type of oil you are getting and can you tell the difference if you run a different type?
    2000 F250 7.3L
    Vegistroke installed July 12, 2008

  • #2
    Triple, I belive the majority of what I'm getting is soybean...at least that's what I remember seeing on most of the labels on the cubes. And I agree, at most temps, the soybean does seem to be thin.

    I've gotten some canola too and it works well as well. Can't really tell any difference though since about 95% of my oil is always soybean.

    All smells the same too...like fried food!!
    Greasin & Grinin
    Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
    2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
    2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
    2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

    Comment


    • #3
      Most of what I get is canola i think...Soy is (IIRC) better quality oil and cost more as well.

      Comment


      • #4
        100% Canola is what I collect and use. I had a guy ask me the other day if I wanted some Peanut oil as he frys a lot of fish and turkeys in it but I haven't seen that oil yet.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by triplemoutdoors View Post
          I now have over 25,000 miles on vegi oil!:cheers: Most of the miles have been on canola oil but the last 330 gal batch of oil i used was soy bean. Soy bean oil seems to be thinner and easier to pump when it is cold and I can not tell the difference between the two when I run it in the truck. The smell of soy bean oil is not as good as canola...actually is does not have much of a smell at all when burned in the truck.

          What type of oil you are getting and can you tell the difference if you run a different type?
          Triple,
          I use mostly soy but can't tell the difference with other oils I use now and then. Surprised to see that your soy is thinner than canola at colder temps. Never had the chance to use canola, but when I put some store bought canola in the freezer beside my soy, the canola stayed liquid much longer than the soy. Probably should say that my soy is PHO and the canola is virgin oil. Perhaps that accounts for the difference in what I see. - Patrick

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lancaster,pa View Post
            Triple,
            I use mostly soy but can't tell the difference with other oils I use now and then. Surprised to see that your soy is thinner than canola at colder temps. Never had the chance to use canola, but when I put some store bought canola in the freezer beside my soy, the canola stayed liquid much longer than the soy. Probably should say that my soy is PHO and the canola is virgin oil. Perhaps that accounts for the difference in what I see. - Patrick
            Bingo....

            Comment


            • #7
              I should say my oil is pretty close to virgin too...
              2000 F250 7.3L
              Vegistroke installed July 12, 2008

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by triplemoutdoors View Post
                I should say my oil is pretty close to virgin too...
                I hope your not taking her word for it. Is that like 90% pregnant?

                Canola has a much lower cloud/gel point. I've had a 100 gal tank of 'lightly used' canola stay liquid to -5, even at 70 mph!! No tank heat required!
                2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                veggiegarage.com authorized installer

                RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by skyskijason View Post
                  I hope your not taking her word for it. Is that like 90% pregnant?

                  Canola has a much lower cloud/gel point. I've had a 100 gal tank of 'lightly used' canola stay liquid to -5, even at 70 mph!! No tank heat required!
                  So, apples to apples, canola or soy better at lower temps? - Patrick

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    lancaster,pa

                    Remember my low temps is mid-20's at best. It seems to me that soy is easier to pump at lower temps, but I'm in Texas.
                    2000 F250 7.3L
                    Vegistroke installed July 12, 2008

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by lancaster,pa View Post
                      So, apples to apples, canola or soy better at lower temps? - Patrick

                      Canola, hands-down in my experience. FFA's (primarily animal fat) make a big difference. If warm filtering, these will be in solution, raising the 'gel' point. With adequate tank or fuel pick-up heat and enough heat before filter - it does not matter. Although 'clear' oil is easier to filter.

                      VO is leaving my heated fuel pick-up at 120* right now, only to get hotter in TIH to VO pump and filter - usually about 160-170* as it exits filter, then a few more feet of TIH and a FPHE and I get 190* plus VO before the heads. Also using an aux coolant pump. Overkill? Maybe, but I believe I could burn bacon grease in Alaska.:chuckles:
                      2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                      2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                      veggiegarage.com authorized installer

                      RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        CanolaX2,I have -15 here then add windchill without a problem.When I go to canada I use my no transfat Zytec Canola(liquid @0F).Last year Quebec city -25F no problem cruising down the Transcanadain @ 62mph........greasy
                        2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by skyskijason View Post
                          Canola, hands-down in my experience. FFA's (primarily animal fat) make a big difference. If warm filtering, these will be in solution, raising the 'gel' point. With adequate tank or fuel pick-up heat and enough heat before filter - it does not matter. Although 'clear' oil is easier to filter.

                          VO is leaving my heated fuel pick-up at 120* right now, only to get hotter in TIH to VO pump and filter - usually about 160-170* as it exits filter, then a few more feet of TIH and a FPHE and I get 190* plus VO before the heads. Also using an aux coolant pump. Overkill? Maybe, but I believe I could burn bacon grease in Alaska.:chuckles:
                          Jason,
                          OK, you feel canola is better at cold temps. What does TIH stand for? How are you measuring those temps at various places in your system (what gauges, senders, fittings etc.)? Thanks. - Patrick

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Jason, Patrick & Greasy,

                            This is good information, you guys are in a better place to speak about types of oil and cold temps. I pefer soy bean so far here in Texas, but i will burn anything I get my hands on.
                            2000 F250 7.3L
                            Vegistroke installed July 12, 2008

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              TIH - tube-in-hose (aka HIH - hose-in-hose), 3/8" aluminum tubing inside heater hose w/hot coolant.

                              Currently using IR thermometer to shoot different spots. Have tee's in various spots and will use 1-wire temp senders and multi-position switch to monitor several locations with one gauge.
                              2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                              2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                              veggiegarage.com authorized installer

                              RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X