Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• verifying fuel port check valves?

Hello all,

I'm getting close to the 10,000 mile mark, problem free....
    Quick question. It almost appears that I am using diesel fuel and VO at the same time. I dont get an obvious smell of Diesel in my exaust while running VO, but Im using alot of diesel.....

I was undr the impression that the fuel port check valve are open or closed, no in between. Has anyone experienced fuel mixture or is it even possible?

Thanks
    02 F-250 CC Lariat
    32,000 miles on V3 (and climbing)
    all components are stock.

Check to make sure your diesel pump is turning off when your v3 is on. If you wired the bypass from your pressure switch to your stock pump incorectly, your diesel pump may still be running and therefor you would get some diesel still being sent to the front of the heads while the V3 was feeding the backside at the same time. Wouldn't have anything to do with check valves.

Comment

If its not in the wiring, your pressure switch is probably not functioning.

Comment

I think Clay covered it...
        2000 F250 7.3L
        Vegistroke installed July 12, 2008

Comment

One thing that gets me everytime is when I'm driving on diesel and it is borderline empty... but the light isn't on yet. I switch over. After a bunch of miles on VO the light turns on... like it thinks it should be out of fuel by now.
          Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

Jack it's probably the same situation with my truck and the "Miles to E" indicator. I can be low on #2 and burning vegi, but eventually, the indicator will no longer reset itself (with enough #2 in the tank, it'll repeatedly reset itself). While the computer can approximate how much fuel you have and your average MPG, it can't determine that you've started running a secondary fuel source.

It just knows you have approximately X gallons left, are averaging X MPGs and therefore determines that in approximately X miles, you should be out of fuel. Even though you're not burning the #2 it's measures, when you exceed it's determined mileage, it's thinking you're out of petrol.

Does that make sense at all?
            Greasin & Grinin
            Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
            2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
            2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
            2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

Marv... you're giving my truck too much credit. I have no MPG cluster
              I think it just got used to a refill @ 300mi... not 1800mi

Comment

It's possible you're just using that much more diesel during the warmup period. My diesel mileage has dropped significantly with the cold temps.

A lot of short trips KILLS my mileage, especially when cold. I just filled up my tank after 500 miles of #2 use, probably 90% of the miles with a 5-7 mile drive or shorter. This netted me 11.8mpg, and I don't remember the last time it's been above freezing. Luckily I just haven't been driving that much, and that was over a 5 week span.
                Last edited by fiveohpatrol; 01-21-2009, 07:29 PM.
                -Drew
                V3'd 2000 Excursion - gone but not forgotten
                2014 6.7L - smells nice

Comment

I've certainly seen a steady decrease in miles between fill-ups. I'll get maybe 800 out of this tank. Summer is so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
                    Marv... you're giving my truck too much credit. I have no MPG cluster
                    I think it just got used to a refill @ 300mi... not 1800mi
                    Haha...well, I didn't think you'd have one in the 2000, but I guess I was just trying to relate it to how my truck acts.
                    Greasin & Grinin
                    Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                    2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                    2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                    2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

Thanks Clay and All.

I didnt think to see if the stock pump was running..Duh! I have been running a lot of short trips (recently changed jobs- 12 mile trip one way), could be the culprit as well.

Thanks
                      02 F-250 CC Lariat
                      32,000 miles on V3 (and climbing)
                      all components are stock.

Comment

Working...
                      X