Pre-Filter Cleaning Intervals/Hinged Manifold Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Filter Cleaning Intervals/Hinged Manifold Design

How often do you guys clean your pre-filters? Last night was my 2nd time. I put about 3000 miles on my last Donaldson so when it finally went I didn't think twice about putting another one on the truck. Then the next filter only lasted 100 miles with limited success. I would lose pressure under any load other than cruising. Cleaned pre-filter and left the Donaldson on it just in case that was the problem. The pre-filter was kind of dirty... maybe 10-15% of it had gunk on it. Still no luck. Then I swapped Donaldsons and the system is back to perfect.

Are you guys checking your pre-filters often?

Other than compressed air, what other methods are you using to clean it so that it maintains its shape?

Mine was kind of bent so I hammered it round around a piece of pipe I had lying around.

Another though I had while I was under my truck in a foot of snow... as the slush and salt was falling into my face I was struggling to get the allen wrench into the hole and then get a good grip on it to remove the filter.
    It got me thinking about building a hinge into the guard I'm going to build.
    Pull a pin and have the unit hinge down from between the frame and body so that everything points down. This would help keep oil from covering the entire manifold when you're servicing it, as well as make accessing the pre-filter easier (much easier).

Thoughts?
    Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

I only cleaned mine the first couple of changes. I had a lot of junk in my tank or lines when installed and was picking it up in the prefilter for the first 2 or 3 Donaldsons. After it cleared up I haven't looked at it recently. I guess I should check it next time I change a filter. I used hot water/Dawn/toothbrush to clean mine.

Comment

Good Idea,but make it locking as that design will make it easier to steal in the upcoming financial unrest.You would be suprised,the same people that would steal your rims would take that piece of shiny as well..................
      2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

Comment

hehehe, sad but prolly true greasy...

I prefer the 1/4 turn fasteners for peices like this.:chuckles: Maybe hinge AND 1/4 turn fasteners??
        2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
        2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
        veggiegarage.com authorized installer

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Comment

I think you have a coolant flow issue if your not getting more miles from your filter.
          Pulled my prefilter once and it was clean - that was after about 3k miles on the new system.

Comment

Jack-You may want to check into your filtering a bit. The prescreen was only meant as a protection device for the manifold and pump from any machining debris or the occasional stray pine needle or fragment that makes it into the tank. It is not meant to be a regular serviced item. We use an 80 mesh screen that is equivalent to about 178micron. If you are plugging up a 178 micron screen that quick, then something is amiss in the filtering. Cheers
            1999 F-350 Lariat 7.3 385,000 miles and counting
            2000 VW Jetta 2.0
            1966 Jeep J-300 with EFI 351W

Comment

Ive actually never even cleaned my screen
              -Shawn Collister-
              -02 F250 7.3 - SSB V3, AC's tuned by Swamps, AIS, 38R, 4" ex, DI tranny
              -00 F350 7.3 - CC with no back seat
              -Multiple trailers and a bunch of other junk
              Straight outta Wimauma

Comment

Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                I think you have a coolant flow issue if your not getting more miles from your filter.
                Pulled my prefilter once and it was clean - that was after about 3k miles on the new system.
                I'll clarify -

The first time was with the first Donaldson. That was in the first 400 miles of having the kit on the truck. It was just about clean then too, probably didn't have to be pulled, but I was curious.

Now, probably 8k+ later I pulled it for a 2nd time. It wasn't the problem this time, but there was gunk on it.

I don't filter my oil. I bought filtered oil from Mike Leeder, the guy who is giving away 200 gallons of oil with an install. Dan Tanton has been running his oil for a long time with no problems. He sells oil all over the state.

As far as coolant flow is concerned, the gunk on my pre-filter was not a result of improper heating... it was gunk. Cold oil in the filter is no good... but it is heated before it passes through it after initial start up right? I thought 3k was decent... doesn't seem like there is a solid number to shoot for. Some people don't have to replace the Donaldson within the first 1000 miles, and some have to do it after only a couple hundred. If I get 3k out of a filter... and I can continue getting filtered oil cheap, I won't be disappointed.

Now, as far as the hinge goes on the V3... it will be very secure, and not easily removed. Lets face it though guys, if they are stealing stuff off of a truck, simple hand tools and about 5 minutes would be all that is required to steal the manifold and some of the harness. The aluminum isn't worth the effort... and I don't have a cat, so they wouldn't be under the truck very long.

I like the fastener idea too... I'll be brainstorming tonight. Hopefully I can get my buddy to stop by with some stainless and we can fab something up quick.

Comment

I pulled my pre screen lat night and it looked pretty good. I understand that the end that does not have the sort of glue ring or whatever it is around it that is designed to fit into the cap is supposed to be the end closest to the cap. My question is whether or not that pre screen is supposed to come out attached to the metal cap that is removed to access the screen.
                  2002 Excursion Limited Ultimate 7.3 PSD. DP Tuner NS, Stock, 1100 HI, 60t, 80e, 120r, 140a. 4" MBRP Exhaust. AFE stage 2 w/ Pro Guard Intake. 35" Toyo M/T & 20" AR Thug w/ Teflon Coating. Bilsteins. Vegistroke V3 VO System. 203* Therm. Pilot Bi-Xenon Head & Fog Lights. Foil Delete

Comment

I still like the idea of having the manifold swing down, but I don't think I will ever try it because of all the lines and wires. I don't have enough slack in them to let it swing down.
                    Y2K Excursion 4X4 limited 7.3, 6" lift, 35" Rubbers, Jonathan Tuned, Single Shots, 38R, DI Up-Pipes, CoolingMist Vari-Cool Water/Meth Injection, Aftermarket Intake, 5 Isspro Gauges, Vegistroke V3, 30 Gal Frame Mounted Tank, GOT GREASE?

veggiegarage.com authorized installer

Comment

Originally posted by PDX02 View Post
                      I pulled my pre screen lat night and it looked pretty good. I understand that the end that does not have the sort of glue ring or whatever it is around it that is designed to fit into the cap is supposed to be the end closest to the cap. My question is whether or not that pre screen is supposed to come out attached to the metal cap that is removed to access the screen.
                      PDX, mine has always come out with the cap. My assumption is that it's supposed to operate that way.
                      Greasin & Grinin
                      Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                      2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                      2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                      2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

Mine also comes out.

I'm still trying to design the perfect "guard" for the V3... taking into account the lack of slack in my own system.

Comment

Prescreen question

The mess screen should be attached to the plug itself. And it should be round on the opposite end so that it fits in the groove inside the manifold.

AK

Comment

Working...
                          X