Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it hurt to run with tank near empty

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does it hurt to run with tank near empty

    Haven't seen this discussed here yet. Are there any ill effects to running around with the tank near empty, to the point that the V3 will shut off when turning RH corners due to the veg oil pickup in the tank becoming exposed to air? I'm assuming this has been designed around as I've yet to feel the truck "hiccup" when switching back and forth to diesel in this situation. However, I don't want to risk sending air pockets to my injectors either.

    Thanks,
    Eric
    2008 F350 CC SB Lariat Spartan tuned

    SOLD: 2006 F250 CC LB 6.0L, SCT Tunes by DJ, MSD Dashhawk, 4" MBRP turbo-back, V3 Vegistroke, ARP Studs, got tired of working on it!

  • #2
    I think the V3 will purge air out of the lines on its own, but I don't know for sure. The less fuel you have in the tank will lead to greater condensation. That's all I can think of.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rabidsnowmobiler View Post
      Haven't seen this discussed here yet. Are there any ill effects to running around with the tank near empty, to the point that the V3 will shut off when turning RH corners due to the veg oil pickup in the tank becoming exposed to air? I'm assuming this has been designed around as I've yet to feel the truck "hiccup" when switching back and forth to diesel in this situation. However, I don't want to risk sending air pockets to my injectors either.

      Thanks,
      Eric
      Eric,
      Running the tank empty or just sucking air going around corners will cause a drop in pressure resulting in the diesel pump taking over. If I remember correctly, as this happens, the veg pump continues to run. Concerns me a little thinking that the veg pump is running dry. Not sure how long it would take to damage the pump. - Patrick

      Comment


      • #4
        When you see this, simply turn the V3 off manually untill you refill the tank. It wont hurt it but i wouldn't suggest doing it repeatedly.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CHenry View Post
          When you see this, simply turn the V3 off manually untill you refill the tank. It wont hurt it but i wouldn't suggest doing it repeatedly.
          I agree...I don't like the thought of running the FASS pump for extended periods of time without oil present.
          Greasin & Grinin
          Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
          2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
          2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
          2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

          Comment


          • #6
            What about the effects of all that heat dumped into a tank with very little veg oil. Wont that cause tons of polymerization? I thought Jason said that a "little" diesel thrown in would slow that down, but not to run the HOT diesel through the system due to the decreased lubrication.
            2005 F350 Harley: Heat Induction Hood, ARE Bed Cover, DashHawk, MBRP turbo back, cat delete, SCT: Tunes by Spartan, Exhaust Sound Videos HERE

            Comment


            • #7
              OK, so it sounds like I just need to keep the tank topped off. Only issue will be when I head north to play in the snow, I don't think I'll have enough oil to make my 900 mile round trip. It's a little bit of a bummer, even with the 91 gallon tank I only have around 70 gallons available for use before the pick up starts sucking air.
              2008 F350 CC SB Lariat Spartan tuned

              SOLD: 2006 F250 CC LB 6.0L, SCT Tunes by DJ, MSD Dashhawk, 4" MBRP turbo-back, V3 Vegistroke, ARP Studs, got tired of working on it!

              Comment


              • #8
                If you r tank runs low, don't loose any sleep over it thinking your going to have issues if you don't fill it back up. Chances are you won't wait too long as buying diesel will weigh on your mind more than anything.

                Comment


                • #9
                  What about the effects of all that heat dumped into a tank with very little veg oil. Wont that cause tons of polymerization? I thought Jason said that a "little" diesel thrown in would slow that down, but not to run the HOT diesel through the system due to the decreased lubrication.
                  I would imagine the oil will get to the same temp if there is a littlte or a lot in the tank.
                  When my tank is low on oil it feels cool everywhere except for the very bottom.
                  When its full of oil the whole tank is too hot to touch!

                  And Jason told me on the phone its fine to fill the tank with 100% diesel if you want. Diesel gets hot in the heads before it enters the injector all the time anyways. So its really not too much different.
                  Ive had probably 90% Off road diesel/10% WVO in my tank before.
                  -Shawn Collister-
                  -02 F250 7.3 - SSB V3, AC's tuned by Swamps, AIS, 38R, 4" ex, DI tranny
                  -00 F350 7.3 - CC with no back seat
                  -Multiple trailers and a bunch of other junk
                  Straight outta Wimauma

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    even with the 91 gallon tank I only have around 70 gallons available for use before the pick up starts sucking air.
                    In town or on the interstate?

                    If you still have 20 gallons in the bottom of the tank, on the interstate or straight highway.....Id think about maybe looking into a longer pick-up tube or something...
                    -Shawn Collister-
                    -02 F250 7.3 - SSB V3, AC's tuned by Swamps, AIS, 38R, 4" ex, DI tranny
                    -00 F350 7.3 - CC with no back seat
                    -Multiple trailers and a bunch of other junk
                    Straight outta Wimauma

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tampa450 View Post
                      I would imagine the oil will get to the same temp if there is a littlte or a lot in the tank.
                      When my tank is low on oil it feels cool everywhere except for the very bottom.
                      When its full of oil the whole tank is too hot to touch!

                      And Jason told me on the phone its fine to fill the tank with 100% diesel if you want. Diesel gets hot in the heads before it enters the injector all the time anyways. So its really not too much different.
                      Ive had probably 90% Off road diesel/10% WVO in my tank before.
                      Dude, you really shouldn't be saying that on the WWW!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Trust me,Big Brother is watching,from a small room with multiple screens and thousands of "call words",not to mention cheap coffee your taxes paid for.Thats all I am at liberty to discuss..........greasy
                        2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          maybe he is just using this truck off road!!!!! That must be his reasoning for using off-road diesel I am sure!
                          Colin

                          2002 F350 4x4 Cab Chassis Flatbed

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            lol... if they don't have something better to do than listen in on "our" conversations about $1000 worth of tax evasion, they really need to turn on the news.
                            Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Tampa450 View Post
                              In town or on the interstate?

                              If you still have 20 gallons in the bottom of the tank, on the interstate or straight highway.....Id think about maybe looking into a longer pick-up tube or something...
                              This condition happens more on my trip back and forth to work. This is mostly on state highway with 55 mph speed limit. As soon as I hit a right hand turn that is regulated down to 45 mph or less with less than 1/4 tank of oil, the pick up will suck air. Sooner if I corner aggressively.

                              I've thought about modifying the pick up tube so that is draws more from the center of the tank. This would less the effects of oil shifting from one side or the other while making turns. Anyone have any luck doing this?
                              2008 F350 CC SB Lariat Spartan tuned

                              SOLD: 2006 F250 CC LB 6.0L, SCT Tunes by DJ, MSD Dashhawk, 4" MBRP turbo-back, V3 Vegistroke, ARP Studs, got tired of working on it!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X