On the road again, got VO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the road again, got VO?

Unfortunately NOT going home yet either. After this project in Lincoln went from 7-10 days to 4 weeks, the contractor here has f-ed the job up so bad they will be doing it over. In order for me to get home before my grade school kids get married and move away - I will go do a 'short' job in Des Moines, IA, and the guy who was going there will take over this train-wreck of a project...

Soooo, I had almost enough VO to get home on before I stayed here this long (LOVING my 200gal on-board VO tank, btw!!), BUT, now I'm going home a different way and won't get to stop at a friends' place in KS and top-off AND even though I finally got my new DFA pump, it is the small pump and I ordered the 1.5" pump.... I guess I'll go ahead and use it to collect, but between waiting for it to show up and waiting to hear from John about the mis-shipment - I don't have enough time left here to filter/dewater for this trip.

If you are somewhere between Lincoln and Des Moines or not too far off I-80 and wanna see a veteran greased PSD or would like some hands-on suggestions about your filtering get-up let me know! I'll be traveling on Monday and should be in Des Moines for about a week. (sure...)

I could also use some VO if ya have a little to spare or sell.

I don't expect to see anything worth taking a picture of on this trip!

After this gig I WILL be heading home and plan to stay there until 2009.
    2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
    2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
    veggiegarage.com authorized installer

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Unfortunately Jason, I'm not on your route, but good luck with the trip home. Hope you find some oil and make it back before 2009!
    Greasin & Grinin
    Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
    2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
    2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
    2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Marv View Post
      Unfortunately Jason, I'm not on your route, but good luck with the trip home. Hope you find some oil and make it back before 2009!
      Thanks Marv! Yea, I've just been away waaaay to much this year. I always travel alot, but never spend this little time at home.

Anyway, I've had the great pleasure of meeting dozens of VO'ers across the country and I always enjoy seeing how others do it. Just when I think there can't be 'another' way, I meet another clever dude who solved the riddle using whatever he had laying around - always with a heavy influence from the designers' background.

Alot of the folks I've met have never seen a VO conversion in person, except their own! Many have thanked me for being able to look at their pre-filtering stuff and give them a thumbs-up. Even though they studied hard and had us 'approve' the plans on-line, its still nice to have someone actually look at it in person and see the VO it produces...

If I get to take tomorow off, I'll be testing my new DFA 12v 'collection pump'.!
      2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles

Comment

Jason, get on Frybrid, i think there were a few peeps in and around Kansas City that had VO...

Comment

Yes, I have a couple of friends down there - thats where I wuz headed 'on the way home' from here, but now I gotta go to IA first and KC is no longer on the way...

I'm headed to get hoses, etc for the new 12v pump. I should be able to report on its performance this afternoon if all goes well. I've got plenty of fuel to get to IA, but I'll be short getting home from there and since I've been gone much longer than expected this trip - wifey has happily consumed all the dewatered/filtered VO stock at home. (like over 300 gals of VO and 75-80 gals of B100 ) HOPEFULLY not ALL my VO at sources has been stolen - most of my drums should be full right now...

Unless I find someone w/'extra' filtered VO to share or sell, I'll improvise a dewatering/filtering station at camp and try to collect enough between now and when I head home to make it w/o buying D2. (i can't stand the smell of that stuff anymore, lol) Besides the fact I haven't had a day off really since I got here, I haven't been collecting 'cause I HAD some oil lined up for the trip home...

I gave up on fillup4free - but I guess I'll try sending some messages to folks listed there again (I've had like a 2% return message rate and less than 1% of messages and emails I've sent to people listed actually had VO to share or sell, in almost 3 years! - WTF?)

Comment

Jason when are you leaving Lincoln for Des Moines? I just sent an email to some people in Omaha that have helped me out before. Can you PM me and email or phone number I can give them if they have some extra.

Tanya

Comment

Thanks Tanya! Be sure to look us up if ya ever make it thru north GA! :cheers:

Comment

ya ever make your way to Newark, NJ or the surrounding are (i know there's LOTS of those tanks you mentioned) let me know and I'll hook you up!
                2005 6.0l X
                V3 running 8/6/08
                40gal frame mounted tank

Live by the grease, die by the grease

Comment

Jason how/who do you collect from when you're out on the road? Especially if you don't have someone you know.
                  Greasin & Grinin

Comment

I usually travel w/a 1hp 4cycle Honda 1" water pump. I'll ask every place I eat if I can 'have a little' oil. When I'm in the same place for a few weeks, I'll get resteraunts to either let me leave a drum or put oil in buckets/cubies for me...

I'll heat and settle in a 55 gal drum using water heater element (have aquired both 'locally' and disposed of before leaving). Use Honda pump to push dewatered VO thru filter(s) into truck!

Comment

Originally posted by skyskijason View Post
                      I usually travel w/a 1hp 4cycle Honda 1" water pump. I'll ask every place I eat if I can 'have a little' oil. When I'm in the same place for a few weeks, I'll get resteraunts to either let me leave a drum or put oil in buckets/cubies for me...

I'll heat and settle in a 55 gal drum using water heater element (have aquired both 'locally' and disposed of before leaving). Use Honda pump to push dewatered VO thru filter(s) into truck!
                      LOL...that's awesome man. Nothing like improvising while on the road!

I'm impressed...that's quite a process you got going.

So I take it most places are willing to share some oil with you temporarily?
                      Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Jason have you considered making a permanent filtering room in your RV?,I have seen a few of these in toy boxes.They are well planed and compact,usaully HWH,CF,settling tank,and two twin tanks for Centrifuging on the go.I think the last one i saw was on survival blog.Well happy hauling to ya..............greasy
                        2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

Comment

Originally posted by greasyX View Post
                          Jason have you considered making a permanent filtering room in your RV?,I have seen a few of these in toy boxes.They are well planed and compact,usaully HWH,CF,settling tank,and two twin tanks for Centrifuging on the go.I think the last one i saw was on survival blog.Well happy hauling to ya..............greasy
                          Yep, got a few ideas... I've been at home w/this camper like a couple weeks total since I got it - and it was coooold outside! After I get home from here, I hope to get a heat & settle tank built into the basement area. I have strongly considered CF, but just cannot justify the expense (among other concerns). I am nearly always in the same place for at least a week or two, so 'on-the-road' filtering is not necessary for me. Considering I've sucessfully 'processed' 100's and 100's of gals at camp so far using 'primitive' techniques - I think I'll do OK w/some time and a small budget.

Comment

Oh yeah, I met some really nice folks in Omaha (thanks Tanya!) and scored several cubies of un-filtered oil - sweeet! I then ran out of grease about 5 miles from camp!! I'll try to score a few more cubies worth here locally and should have enough to get me home... we'll see!

Prolly heading home this weekend - I'll start another thread to see if there's anyone I can meet on the way!

The Omaha couple have a greasecar system in a 7.3 IDI and suffer terribly from a greasecrap education - you know, pump from dumpster thru fancy filter into tank, etc. I've shared ALOT of reading material w/them and given them some ideas on how to better use the stuff they have. (they are not actually dumpster diving - but have no dewatering in place or testing for that matter!) Luckily (), they have had enough problems w/the ford they did not convert the nice VW tdi w/same junk!! Hopefully after learning what makes a 'good' conversion, they can choose a better system for that car.

Comment

Originally posted by skyskijason View Post
                              Oh yeah, I met some really nice folks in Omaha (thanks Tanya!) and scored several cubies of un-filtered oil - sweeet! I then ran out of grease about 5 miles from camp!! I'll try to score a few more cubies worth here locally and should have enough to get me home... we'll see!

Prolly heading home this weekend - I'll start another thread to see if there's anyone I can meet on the way!

The Omaha couple have a greasecar system in a 7.3 IDI and suffer terribly from a greasecrap education - you know, pump from dumpster thru fancy filter into tank, etc. I've shared ALOT of reading material w/them and given them some ideas on how to better use the stuff they have. (they are not actually dumpster diving - but have no dewatering in place or testing for that matter!) Luckily (), they have had enough problems w/the ford they did not convert the nice VW tdi w/same junk!! Hopefully after learning what makes a 'good' conversion, they can choose a better system for that car.
                              Hey man, at least it wasn't 500 miles from camp!!! And glad to hear you edumacated them a bit on cleaning their oil.

By the way, any more good pics from your trip?
                              Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Working...
                              X