Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cottonseed oil and Sunflower oil

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cottonseed oil and Sunflower oil

    Anyone using it?
    I found a source for both...its new oil too.
    I can't find much info about cotton oil but sunflower seems to be well accepted in the world of vegi burners.
    Anyone?

  • #2
    Don't know about cotton seed, but sunflower is as good as canola...greasy
    2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

    Comment


    • #3
      Sunflower is great. I think cotton is fine, but most people don't use it because cotton doesn't produce much oil. I would try a little cotton and see if it burns good, if so run what you can get.
      '01 F350, lariat LE, cc, lb, drw, TSP 6pos. chip w/ swamps ss tunes, FF stage 1.5, MBRP 4" turbo back, cooling mist water injection.

      Comment


      • #4
        Some of the new oil I get is sunflower! Its good! I am not sure if cotton seed oil is ok but many people use it to fry turkeys.
        2000 F250 7.3L
        Vegistroke installed July 12, 2008

        Comment


        • #5
          Clay how'd you come across a source that would give you new sunflower seed oil?
          Greasin & Grinin
          Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
          2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
          2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
          2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Marv View Post
            Clay how'd you come across a source that would give you new sunflower seed oil?
            I haven't talked to them yet but will next week maybe.
            Triplem led me onto this tactic so i started looking for oil presses and there is on sitting smack dab in the middle of Oklahoma City...about 4 miles from my office. I knew it was there but didn't know they pressed oil. Its been there for over 50 years i'm sure.

            Comment


            • #7
              Be aware that 'freshly pressed' oil that has not been 'degummed' can be problematic. The whole 'gum' thing eludes me scientifically, but if I had a source for that kind of oil I'd learn more about it! (I think the 'gums' don't burn and leave stuff in combustion chamber, or somethin' like that!)
              2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
              2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
              veggiegarage.com authorized installer

              RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by skyskijason View Post
                Be aware that 'freshly pressed' oil that has not been 'degummed' can be problematic. The whole 'gum' thing eludes me scientifically, but if I had a source for that kind of oil I'd learn more about it! (I think the 'gums' don't burn and leave stuff in combustion chamber, or somethin' like that!)
                I remember reading this debate between Dana and Chris i believe....and i think i remember the outcome was something to the effect that the idea of these gums was a bunch of horse hocky. I can't remember for sure though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                  I haven't talked to them yet but will next week maybe.
                  Triplem led me onto this tactic so i started looking for oil presses and there is on sitting smack dab in the middle of Oklahoma City...about 4 miles from my office. I knew it was there but didn't know they pressed oil. Its been there for over 50 years i'm sure.
                  I guess I'm a bit confused...when you say oil presses, what exactly are you talking about? Is this a company that produces vegetable oils?
                  Greasin & Grinin
                  Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                  2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                  2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                  2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Marv View Post
                    I guess I'm a bit confused...when you say oil presses, what exactly are you talking about? Is this a company that produces vegetable oils?
                    yes, a mill that presses the oils from plants to make vegitable oils.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                      yes, a mill that presses the oils from plants to make vegitable oils.
                      Oh okay, I got ya.

                      So how's that work? They have excess that they don't want or are they throwing it out?

                      Just seems a bit odd that they'd be giving out new oil.
                      Greasin & Grinin
                      Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                      2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                      2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                      2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                        I remember reading this debate between Dana and Chris i believe....and i think i remember the outcome was something to the effect that the idea of these gums was a bunch of horse hocky. I can't remember for sure though.
                        Actually, it was one of the only things CG and Dana did agree on, kinda. That is the problem w/Dana - his beliefs changed from one post to the next. He contradicted himself as much as he did others. I began ignoring his posts early on, I found that saved alot of time in the learning curve...

                        The guys in OR were burning their fresh-pressed VO in the press engine, but it started running badly after several 'blended' gallons. After hearing about the gum issue, I think they stopped???

                        Anyway, I did ask Joe Beatty about this once and he confirmed there are 'gums' and if not removed, they make a mess in the fryers - he did not know what would happen in the combustion chamber, VO tanks, etc. I'll give him a call later and ask him about this again. I'd like to know whats involved in de-gumming anyhow!
                        2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                        2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                        veggiegarage.com authorized installer

                        RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by skyskijason View Post
                          Actually, it was one of the only things CG and Dana did agree on, kinda. That is the problem w/Dana - his beliefs changed from one post to the next. He contradicted himself as much as he did others. I began ignoring his posts early on, I found that saved alot of time in the learning curve...

                          The guys in OR were burning their fresh-pressed VO in the press engine, but it started running badly after several 'blended' gallons. After hearing about the gum issue, I think they stopped???

                          Anyway, I did ask Joe Beatty about this once and he confirmed there are 'gums' and if not removed, they make a mess in the fryers - he did not know what would happen in the combustion chamber, VO tanks, etc. I'll give him a call later and ask him about this again. I'd like to know whats involved in de-gumming anyhow!

                          How would a guy go about removing these gums?
                          Let me know what you find out...I'm sure Tripplem would like to hear more about this as well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Marv View Post
                            Oh okay, I got ya.

                            So how's that work? They have excess that they don't want or are they throwing it out?

                            Just seems a bit odd that they'd be giving out new oil.

                            I was going to talk to them about how much the new oil cost aslo but as far as the discarded new oil, maybe Tripplem will chime in and give us the low down.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                              ...maybe Tripplem will chime in and give us the low down.

                              Yeah, I'd be interested to hear how that works. Not sure if there are any presses around my area, but it might be worth a look to see.
                              Greasin & Grinin
                              Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                              2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                              2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                              2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X