hose insulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hose insulation?

What product are you guys using to insulate coolant lines? I'm looking for a 'wrap' (tapelike) product w/decent R-value and long term resistance to road conditions (ie, saltspray, mud, etc).

I hate working at refineries (anyone who has knows what I mean), but almost wish I had some of that lined up. The industrial insulators have some badass stuff for this, wish I knew what it was called... I got some a while back and wrapped some of my exposed alum fuel line w/it. Even wet, it did not transfer heat to the outside of insulation! (some good 'ole asbestos would be AWESOME, btw!!)
    2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
    2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
    veggiegarage.com authorized installer

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

I used standard foam pipe insulation that is sold in 4' sections pre split and sized per the pipe. Used two with the splits mated then I spiral wrapped it with a foil type tape. Seems better then the foam tape.
    2001 F-350 reg cab 4x4 w/35" tires
    dp-tuned=> 300+rwhp
    old school vegistroke system w/several updates

Comment

armacell is the wrap that DFA provides with the kit...

armacell TAP 18230
      2005 6.0l X
      V3 running 8/6/08
      40gal frame mounted tank

Live by the grease, die by the grease

Comment

Not that it would be attractive without some work, but would Great Stuff work at all if you were to spray on some insulation?
        Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson View Post

armacell TAP 18230
          That's what I used. If I'm not mistaken, someone said the same thing is available at the local Home Depot.

Might want to check there.
          Greasin & Grinin
          Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
          2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
          2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
          2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
            Not that it would be attractive without some work, but would Great Stuff work at all if you were to spray on some insulation?
            I would imagine it'd work good, but I bet you'd have trouble getting it to stay where you wanted it...LOL.
            Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Originally posted by Marv View Post
              I would imagine it'd work good, but I bet you'd have trouble getting it to stay where you wanted it...LOL.
              I should try to explain...
              ah, what the heck, I'm not doing anything else.

Basically you run all of the lines, bundled like you normally would. You could wrap them in just about anything and fill it with the great stuff as you go.
              Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson View Post

armacell TAP 18230
                OK, is that the same bitumastic-type tape often used on copper refrigerant tubing?

FWIW, I've been using the foam, split stuff since I did conversion on F350. It helps alot, I saw 10deg VO temp rise after installing it. But, it has its limitations, including space and relatively low heat resistence (alot of it melted, especially bteween 2 heater hoses 'bundled' together!). Just looking for a 'better' product...
                2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                veggiegarage.com authorized installer

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
                  I should try to explain...
                  ah, what the heck, I'm not doing anything else.

Basically you run all of the lines, bundled like you normally would. You could wrap them in just about anything and fill it with the great stuff as you go.

I got ya Jack...I see what you're saying now. That would probably work better.
                  Greasin & Grinin

Comment

Working...
                  X