Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian diesels

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Canadian diesels

    I have heard its a nightmare to buy a vehicle in Canada and import it...why and what makes it so difficult


    I found several diesels i would be interested in but don't know how to go about importing one.

    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/ctd/838582132.html

  • #2
    Not sure Clay but someone that my Daughter rides with has a F-350 that was brought in from Canada. I will try to get in touch with them and see what was involved and let you know.

    Comment


    • #3
      kool, Thanks.

      Hey how cool would this be
      http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/839899515.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CHenry View Post
        kool, Thanks.

        Hey how cool would this be
        http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/839899515.html
        Why not just buy a Jeep in the states then swap in a 4bt Cummins with an SM420 tranny?

        Seems it is just as easy and cost effective to use a 4bt which has very little to no electronics governing it and is as simple as it gets for a "modern" diesel engine.
        -This space for rent-

        Comment


        • #5
          You have to go through an Importer in Canada. They have to certify the vehicle there(Certifcation for use in USA for EPA compliance). Google Toyota Diesel Conversions. There are some horror stories about exporters, customs, and registering the vehicles. There are also stories on how to do it the right way.

          Another option is Diesel Half cuts. It's just what it sounds like. Half the truck Engine, Tranny, and Electronics. Transplant what you need into a Early model Toy. Too expensive for me to do here in Hawaii.

          I was looking at a 4bt into a Land Cruiser for the wife (Slowly leaning her to an Excursion).

          The 4bt sounds like the first gen Cummins. It would be a tough vehicle with that swap.
          2001 Excursion, V3, TS Chip, Walker BTM.
          2002 F350 Crew, V2, DP Tuner, Walker BTM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Maybe it has something to do with vehicles being approved for US use or something otherwise I would think we would see a lot more being brought in. Being close to the border you would think I would see more non-standard vehicles so there has to be something keeping them out. Maybe you can get a F-350 in from Canada because they are already here but not something like that Toyota. I thought I read that some of the hotter rice burners (Non-US) couldn't be imported because they were not built to US safety specs. That Toyota looks like a four-runner so you would think it wouldn't be a big deal but it most likely comes down to $ and paperwork to get approved or something.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hawaiian Diesel View Post
              You have to go through an Importer in Canada. They have to certify the vehicle there(Certifcation for use in USA for EPA compliance). Google Toyota Diesel Conversions. There are some horror stories about exporters, customs, and registering the vehicles. There are also stories on how to do it the right way.

              Another option is Diesel Half cuts. It's just what it sounds like. Half the truck Engine, Tranny, and Electronics. Transplant what you need into a Early model Toy. Too expensive for me to do here in Hawaii.

              I was looking at a 4bt into a Land Cruiser for the wife (Slowly leaning her to an Excursion).

              The 4bt sounds like the first gen Cummins. It would be a tough vehicle with that swap.
              I have a 76 FJ40 that I am in the process of locating a good 4bt to swap into it. I have the SM420 and twin mini truck cases already setup...just need to find the engine and some money to do it.
              -This space for rent-

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by John_DFA View Post
                Why not just buy a Jeep in the states then swap in a 4bt Cummins with an SM420 tranny?

                Seems it is just as easy and cost effective to use a 4bt which has very little to no electronics governing it and is as simple as it gets for a "modern" diesel engine.
                I want something i can buy today and drive tomorrow....not a project.
                Although it would be a fun project, i have little time for those and it would be in pieces a longtime i am afraid.

                Comment


                • #9
                  My F250 was a "Canadian DOT" truck. Thats what the carfax said. No idea how it got to the dealer I bought it from... but it did.
                  Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by John_DFA View Post
                    I have a 76 FJ40 that I am in the process of locating a good 4bt to swap into it. I have the SM420 and twin mini truck cases already setup...just need to find the engine and some money to do it.
                    I'm jealous!! You probably have more outlets for a 4bt than me. Follow the Lay's trucks. Not sure if you can buy them direct from the local Chip distributor. Stay away from the generator ones.

                    We have a lot of FJ40's here. I know of three that are under 4g's due to engine problems. Alas, No 4bt's!
                    2001 Excursion, V3, TS Chip, Walker BTM.
                    2002 F350 Crew, V2, DP Tuner, Walker BTM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hawaiian Diesel View Post
                      I'm jealous!! You probably have more outlets for a 4bt than me. Follow the Lay's trucks. Not sure if you can buy them direct from the local Chip distributor. Stay away from the generator ones.

                      We have a lot of FJ40's here. I know of three that are under 4g's due to engine problems. Alas, No 4bt's!
                      They are no easier to find around here either. There used to be quite a few available regularly on Pirate but in the last year they have all dropped off. There used to be a forum I think it was 4bt.org or something like that but it kind of dried up as well.
                      -This space for rent-

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I just skimmed the thread and might have missed it, but I'd bet emissions and safety play a large role in it. Taxes too maybe...hard to say really.
                        Greasin & Grinin
                        Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                        2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                        2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                        2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have an associate that spends winters in Costa Rica,we have discussed importing diesel rigs,mostly Range Rover and MB100.I'll give you a time frame when i know DEFINATELY.In the mean time clay I'll throw you a good lead,one hand washes the other.Check these guys out,big money but fully restored,easy to import,and always got new stuff from Germany.RvWestfalia.com.Just outside of Montreal,QC.If you got the money and want something different (Vw Doka 4x4 diesel,4x4 diesel Vw vans ,Diesel range rovers,4x4 Diesel MB RVs,)these are your guys..............greasy
                          2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            sweet, thanks greasy!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              your welcome,that is a great place ,you can get what you want because if they don't have it,they will get it for you,good luck hope it helps...........greasy
                              2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X