Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More tech questions-key on, V3 hot, engine not running?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More tech questions-key on, V3 hot, engine not running?

    I was sitting in my driveway yesterday programming pre-sets on my Sirius radio. You can pre-set up to 30 stations so it took a little while. I had just gotten home about 10 minutes before so the V3 manifold was still plenty hot. When I flipped the key to "ACC ON" the V3 light came on of course (it was in auto position) and the pump started up. I'm so used to seeing the light on the dash (and it had been a long day at work...) that I didn't give it a second thought until I heard a kind of gurgling noise coming from underneath the passenger side. It was then that I realized the V3 was pumping. I quickly shut the key off and put the V3 on manual off and went back to what I was doing. When I finished I started the truck and put the switch back to auto and drove around the block. Everything was fine, but I'm wondering what would happen if I had left it going for a minute or two. Would it have caused damage or would the V3 have sensed that the truck was not running and simply recirculated fuel back to the tank?
    Currently dieselless!

  • #2
    Originally posted by powerstroke73L View Post
    I was sitting in my driveway yesterday programming pre-sets on my Sirius radio. You can pre-set up to 30 stations so it took a little while. I had just gotten home about 10 minutes before so the V3 manifold was still plenty hot. When I flipped the key to "ACC ON" the V3 light came on of course (it was in auto position) and the pump started up. I'm so used to seeing the light on the dash (and it had been a long day at work...) that I didn't give it a second thought until I heard a kind of gurgling noise coming from underneath the passenger side. It was then that I realized the V3 was pumping. I quickly shut the key off and put the V3 on manual off and went back to what I was doing. When I finished I started the truck and put the switch back to auto and drove around the block. Everything was fine, but I'm wondering what would happen if I had left it going for a minute or two. Would it have caused damage or would the V3 have sensed that the truck was not running and simply recirculated fuel back to the tank?

    It doesnt sense anything....lol...the V3 has a regulated return to the vegi tank and it will send all the vegi its pumping back to the vegi tank.
    Likewise when your driving the return line is still sendng the excess fuel back to the tank.
    No damage down.

    Comment


    • #3
      um... so I have to have the V3 off if I'm parked by a bonfire with the radio on?
      Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
        um... so I have to have the V3 off if I'm parked by a bonfire with the radio on?
        Interesting...I didn't notice the mention of the "acc on" position until you said that. I'm surprised the V3 would be hot when the key is in that position.

        I'll have to try mine this afternoon when I leave work.
        Greasin & Grinin
        Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
        2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
        2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
        2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

        Comment


        • #5
          your diesel pump is activated in the "acc on" key position along with your glowplugs so the vegistroke is to.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CHenry View Post
            your diesel pump is activated in the "acc on" key position along with your glowplugs so the vegistroke is to.
            Just so I don't get confused, what exactly are you guys calling "acc on"?

            The position just before you start the engine, or the position when you turn the key backwards?
            Greasin & Grinin
            Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
            2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
            2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
            2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Marv View Post
              Just so I don't get confused, what exactly are you guys calling "acc on"?

              The position just before you start the engine, or the position when you turn the key backwards?
              just before you start the engine

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                It doesnt sense anything....lol...the V3 has a regulated return to the vegi tank and it will send all the vegi its pumping back to the vegi tank.
                Likewise when your driving the return line is still sendng the excess fuel back to the tank.
                No damage down.

                I think the only 'return to tank' is purge. The 'bypassed' fuel from fuel press regulator returns to suction side of pump. This is just one of the beautiful things about V3, no heated fuel is 'wasted' by returning it to tank.

                Since I've never seen V3 install instructions, I don't know where they recommend tapping the power from - but 'ass'ume the VO pump would only recieve power in 'key on' (just before start), just like factory diesel pump. I'd actually like to use the factory pump power supply for VO, so the safety stuff for auto shut off in an accident would still function. So hopefully in the unlikely event of a crash I don't have to crawl through a spray of HOT VO when exiting the truck!
                2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                veggiegarage.com authorized installer

                RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by skyskijason View Post
                  I think the only 'return to tank' is purge. The 'bypassed' fuel from fuel press regulator returns to suction side of pump. This is just one of the beautiful things about V3, no heated fuel is 'wasted' by returning it to tank.
                  Maybe, i don't know if thats a new thing with the V3 or not, matters not though, my "point" was the VO does recirculate unused fuel when the pump is on.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CHenry View Post
                    Maybe, i don't know if thats a new thing with the V3 or not, matters not though, my "point" was the VO does recirculate unused fuel when the pump is on.
                    Agreed. The OP's question was any damage done and the answer is a definative NO.

                    It would be inconvenient to have to turn off V3 to utilize acc. position on key switch. You would not want all that drain (FASS & filter heater) on a non-running engine.
                    2001 F350 XLT 4x4, dually flatbed. 6637 air filter, single-shot injectors, straight-piped, BTS tunes, 200 gal main VO tank - 180k greasy miles
                    2000 Excursion Limited 4x4. V3, AIS intake, BTS trans & tunes - 120k VO miles
                    veggiegarage.com authorized installer

                    RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X