Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water/Meth or Propane Injection

Originally posted by greasyX View Post
    I'm working on a Water/methanol system to work alongside V3,30 MPG here I come.....grease out
    Why water/meth instead of propane?

Obviously a gallon of water/meth is about $1.00, so I can see immediate benefits... but how significant of a mpg gain will you see?

Has anyone used Propane with their vegi? I ask because I'm currently paying $2.00/gal for filtered oil and I've heard of guys doubling their fuel mileage on a propane system.

I'm going to try and contact these guys and see how much propane they consume to double the life of a fuel tank. If it is a 20lb grill tank... and they get 2x the fuel mileage... I can fill the propane for $10.50. If I'm saving $72 in oil because it lasts me 2x as long... seems like I would benefit from a propane injection system.

Then... I would add water/meth on top of that to cool my EGTs...

Make sense?
    Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

Water/meth good,Propane BAD

Propane will lower your cumbustion temps on WVO,which from talking with jason, is very bad for motor.Meth/Propane on the other hand will burn fuel normally sent out tail-pipe,Think of it as Recycling,thats what I told the wife..grease out
    2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

Comment

Ya know what? I didn't even think about the combustion temps.

BUT - The water/meth will actually lower your EGTs as much, if not more, won't it? Water/Meth isn't actually going to make any more power... its going to allow your existing components work harder to make more power - by lowering operating temps and EGTs. Maybe I'm miseducated on this.

Comment

water/meth

It most difinatelly will generate more power.Remember the two basic runs to a diesel 1)More air more power.2)More FUEL more power.By burning all the fuel that would normally go out out the tailpipe you are ideally adding more fuel to the ratio.Couple that with a 4 inch exhaust and aftermarket airbox,badabing mucho more horsesNot only is this cheaper then a propane kit ,its basically windshield washer fluid(short $$)for added go!!!!The lowered EGTs will add longevity to your powerplant,easier towing ,and overall more smiles per mile.Oh yeah 2-4.5MPG gain depending on engine,tuner etc......grease out
        2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............

Comment

Essentially we are saying the same thing. Water/meth allows you to make more power...

Its $1.00/gallon... how can you go wrong?

If propane costs $0.50/lb and you consume 20lbs per 36 gallons of fuel... and you're doubling your fuel mileage... not picking up 2 or 3. Picking up 20. The kit would be paid for immediately.

I go through 36 gallons of diesel every week. @ $4.00/gallon (which is almost a dollar cheaper than I paid on my last tank) Thats $144.00 per fillup. If I double my mpg, now I'm spending $144 every other week, and $10 for propane. Thats $154 for 2 weeks, divided by 2 and my weekly fuel bill is now only $77.

So, my question is:

How does Water/Meth not reduce the combustion temp as much as propane does? If that is the main reason for not running propane, then I guess I understand. BUT if propane and the water/meth solution reduce combustion temps equally... then you're not doing yourself any favors by running either of them.

Used oil is cheaper than both

Comment

Water meth advantages

Its injected before turbo ,not in the fuel rail .It Does not enter with fuel,it enters with air,there for not lowering combustion Temps.The fuel makes the fire ,the air pushes it.This in fact will make for a better combustion stroke(more pressure),This will extend the life of your engine while using WVO.Where as Propane will shorten the life of your engine ,when used in Unison.........grease out

Comment

You're positive about the placement of the nozzle for the water/meth?

I'm pretty sure it is injected pre-intake or even in the intake elbow on our trucks. It must burn for you to see all of the benefit of the mist. Right?

Comment

my bad

I was looking at the schematic for my non-intercooled cummins,sorry about that.Your are correct on location.The cumbustion temp is controlled by the kits controller,it "reads" the engines performance and adjusts the fuel to spec,this ensures maintaining temp....grease out

Comment

Working...
                X