Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heated Pipe Wrap

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Heated Pipe Wrap

    Just out of curiosity, would there be any advantage to wrapping all, or a portion, of the system with one of those electric heater tapes?

    I plan on plugging my truck in most of the winter anyway because the tune I am running (Spartan Diesel Ultra Comp + 175 HP). It gets REAL CRANKY on cold starts. It pretty much tries to jump out of the engine bay for the first minute of idle after a cold weather start.

    I figured, if I am taking the trouble to plug in anyway, it might be worth warming some of the V3 while I am at it.

    Any thoughts?
    2005 F350 Harley: Heat Induction Hood, ARE Bed Cover, DashHawk, MBRP turbo back, cat delete, SCT: Tunes by Spartan, Exhaust Sound Videos HERE

  • #2
    I don't think there would be any advantage to this, granted it can't hurt but it will cost you some elec. usage. The V3 module heats up gradually as the coolant heats up and when the system switches on at 140*, the module is 140* as well. Plugging in the truck will warm the coolant and decrease driving time prior to switchover. I do this year round.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CHenry View Post
      I don't think there would be any advantage to this, granted it can't hurt but it will cost you some elec. usage. The V3 module heats up gradually as the coolant heats up and when the system switches on at 140*, the module is 140* as well. Plugging in the truck will warm the coolant and decrease driving time prior to switchover. I do this year round.
      That was going to be my next question(s)...

      What do you suspect the lifespan of the block heater is and how drastic is it to replace it?

      I was also thinking of an aux pump that would only run at night while the block heater is on to circulate coolant through the system while parked in the drive. Not sure how that would complicate the V3 having a "dead" pump inline while running.
      2005 F350 Harley: Heat Induction Hood, ARE Bed Cover, DashHawk, MBRP turbo back, cat delete, SCT: Tunes by Spartan, Exhaust Sound Videos HERE

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FastCote View Post
        That was going to be my next question(s)...

        What do you suspect the lifespan of the block heater is and how drastic is it to replace it?

        I was also thinking of an aux pump that would only run at night while the block heater is on to circulate coolant through the system while parked in the drive. Not sure how that would complicate the V3 having a "dead" pump inline while running.
        I don't know the lifespan of a BH but i have never heard about them failing really. Its not hard to replace either.
        As far as a aux pump, i don't think that would prove to help anything, the BH doesn't heat that well considering the large chunk of iron wrapped around it and if you were to circulate the coolant while heating, i think you would loose more heat than you were adding due to heat loss in the lines etc.
        I know of one guy on here - Skyskijason - who uses an aux cooalnt pump in the winter while hes driving and i think he turns it off in warmer weather and it doesn't interfear with normal coolant flow when off.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CHenry View Post
          I don't think there would be any advantage to this, granted it can't hurt but it will cost you some elec. usage. The V3 module heats up gradually as the coolant heats up and when the system switches on at 140*, the module is 140* as well. Plugging in the truck will warm the coolant and decrease driving time prior to switchover. I do this year round.
          Clay,

          Never thought of plugging in during the summer. Will the stock block heater come on even if the ambient temp is around 70? About how many miles does it take for your truck to switch to veg after plugging in during the warm months? - Patrick

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lancaster,pa View Post
            Clay,

            Never thought of plugging in during the summer. Will the stock block heater come on even if the ambient temp is around 70? About how many miles does it take for your truck to switch to veg after plugging in during the warm months? - Patrick
            The BH will come on reguardless of temp as long as its plugged in, its on.
            Depends how warm it is and how long you leave it on. I can leave the drive after being plugged in 2 hours in the summer and in 1/2 mile I'm vegin.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thats a pretty good idea Clay. I usually switch over at just under 1.5 miles. I thought that was pretty good, 1/2 mile sounds better to me.
              Elvia the HandyMan
              2000 F350 7.3 XL Dually utility/service truck
              V3 March 2008

              Comment


              • #8
                1/2 mile smells... err... sounds really good. That means my neighbors will be able to enjoy it too
                Vegistrokin since 08/23/08

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here lately mine has been switching over after idling for 5-6 minutes. Of course in N. Alabama in August it doesn't get very cool in the evenings.

                  I think it was 78 outside when I left the house this morning.

                  Climbed in the truck and the green light was already on.
                  Greasin & Grinin
                  Vegi oil powered since Aug 08
                  2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
                  2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
                  2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Fastcote,

                    It depends on where you live and how long you want to wait before it switches over. It does not make sense to me here in N Texas but it may where you live. The Vegiestroke is designed very well and will get pretty hot so extra heat is not needed but its your call.
                    2000 F250 7.3L
                    Vegistroke installed July 12, 2008

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by triplemoutdoors View Post
                      Fastcote,

                      It depends on where you live and how long you want to wait before it switches over. It does not make sense to me here in N Texas but it may where you live. The Vegiestroke is designed very well and will get pretty hot so extra heat is not needed but its your call.
                      i agree........

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X